Starter relay question

More
02 Feb 2010 07:17 #346022 by S.P.75
Replied by S.P.75 on topic Starter relay question
I probably won't get to the kz until friday or saturday. But I'm sure i'll run into questions. I found a good wiring diagram on this site under "bare bones" I'm using.

And here's the honda with a future rider on it. My nephew. He loves the bike. Says he doesn't really like the new bikes out there. Smart kid.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2010 20:39 #346547 by S.P.75
Pulled of the throttle/starter combo today. there was a small cylindrical chunk of metal floating around in there. I'm assuming this is the piece that when you press the start button this metal piece(inside the nunit) completes the connection of the 2 internal wires. Is this right and is it fixable through fenagling it (metal piece) back in there. i see there's a small screw that holds the wires in place. take it off and pop it back in? or is it easier to make a seperate starter button on the handle bars?

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
04 Feb 2010 20:59 #346549 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Starter relay question
Nice Honda
If you have pieces floating around and you can not figure out where it goes you may need a new switch pod. You could mount a button somewhere just make sure you tape it up real good so it does not ground out and start poping fuses

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
05 Feb 2010 11:50 - 05 Feb 2010 11:53 #346662 by S.P.75
Finally bought a continuity light tester. There was a fuse hidden under some electrical tape. didn't know it was there. Found The brass connectors holding the fuse pretty corroded and holding back alot of current. So next step is to clean up all connections on the wires.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2010 11:53 by S.P.75.

More
05 Feb 2010 14:51 #346696 by wompy5000
Replied by wompy5000 on topic Starter relay question
I changed out my starter relay for a bosch type 40 amp relay, and while at it, put in a 30a relay for the coils like wired george suggests, and a 30a relay for my hella spotlight I use for a headlight, all inside a project box w/ a 30a circuit breaker just in case of the apocalypse.

jpriderdesigns.blogspot.com
Attachments:

More
05 Feb 2010 15:40 #346702 by S.P.75
Just curious, where do you tuck that box away? Under the fender?
I might go that route eventually. But for now I'm eliminating all the excess wires on the bike. Just the wires necessary to run and have a head and tail light. But I'll still have a couple fuses in place still.

More
05 Feb 2010 21:08 #346776 by S.P.75
Well I found the free time tonight to go through the wiring. I stripped all the old, burnt, cracked, and crapped out wires out. And gutted all "non-essential to run" wires. I used A "Bare Bones" wiring diagram That Loudhvx posted a couple years ago (nice job by the way)to wire a basic harness. Plus I got the starter button to work.
So after hours of sitting on a milk crate doing the wiring, I hit the start button and I get the whirring sound of the solenoid only. So I'm assuming the solenoid is crapped out which I suspected anyway. I tried to hook up a solenoid a guy sold me at napa(made for a ford, and a big old thing) and got nothing at all.
So I was looking at wompy5000's post and he used a 40 amp relay in place of the solenoid. So how does the wiring work? I've never used one. I have a 30amp just like it and was reading the numbers on the bottom but haven't a clue which leads where.
Any help? PLus should I get a 40 amp relay?

More
05 Feb 2010 21:47 #346780 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter relay question
My understanding of starter relay's is that the small wires go to the energizing coil. The heavier contacts carry the current when the relay is energized. Think of a solenoid as a remote controlled heavy duty switch.

www.boardrelays.com/?gclid=CNzst_PAkZgCFRo-awodC2zVng

www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_do_i_check_a_relay.htm

I caution trying to use these smaller "Cubed" relays as a replacement for a solenoid as the contacts even though rated for 30/40 amps may not be sufficient to turn over the engine. Consider cold, thick oil,and high compression may pull 80 amps or more.

If it were me, I'd get a suitable riding lawnmower solenoid(much cheaper at around $15, than Kawasaki's $200 +).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Feb 2010 06:27 #346798 by S.P.75
I may try the cubed relay just to test run the bike today. But will heed the warning about insufficiency and find a lawnmower solenoid asap. Any suggestions of places. Do you think sears or lowes would have one?

According to this(from the above link):
Terminals 86 and 85 are the primary half of the relay that utilizes an electromagnet to close (connect) the secondary electrical circuit inside the relay. This electromagnet is activated by a simple power (+) and ground (-) much like a light bulb circuit.

Terminals 87 and 30 are the secondary half of the relay that is the "switch" that transfer's electrical current from one terminal to the other.

On the cube relay, would the 86 and 85 be ground through the frame wires and the 87 and 30 wired to the starter then the battery?

More
08 Feb 2010 17:56 #347316 by S.P.75
I think I'll look for a lawnmower solenoid like you suggest. Quick question though. With the old solenoid on, when I hit the starter button, the solenoid made a whirring sound. What exactly does that indicate? I guess what I'm asking is what's happening inside the solenoid that's not working properly?

More
08 Feb 2010 18:16 #347321 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter relay question
My experiance with solenoids is that they either work or don't. It should pull in with a click, and continuity can be measured across the two heavy duty contacts(with one of the positive leads disconnected).

If the solenoid is making noise, I'd say replace it as the coil may be loose leading to future failure.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Feb 2010 05:24 #347370 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Starter relay question
if somebody explains how to post a 12 meg file I can send you a pdf of the manual for your 550. will I need to mail it as a cd?