Starter relay question

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Feb 2010 05:26 #347371 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Starter relay question

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2010 05:39 - 11 Feb 2010 06:46 #347701 by S.P.75
Replied by S.P.75 on topic Starter relay question
Thanks for the manual. I Saved it to my desktop for future use.
Still working on the wiring. I bought a new tractor solenoid for $14 at sears. installed it and have no turn-over still. There's current flowing through the system as i checked with a cirsuit tester. But I can't figure out why it's a no-go still.
The bike turned over when I had all the original wiring harness in tact when i eliminated the old solenoid and touched the starter cable directly to the + battery cable.
i stripped out everything not essential to running and used the "bare bones" wiring diagram.
Things to rule out: Starter replaced, new solenoid, battery is still good but maybe a little low (I rode it in my honda last week), Cleaned the terminals on the coils and replaced the connectors on the wires. Put new 20 amp fuses in. I'm still searching out why this bike plagues me.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2010 06:46 by S.P.75.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
11 Feb 2010 07:30 #347715 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Starter relay question
My GS1100 gave me problems with the solenoid. It would turnover with a screwdriver but not the button. I replaced with a lawnmower solenoid and had the same problem. Come to find out the GS needs ground from mounting instead of a ground wire, I got on the GS forum and was told to look for a bad ground. That is what it was. I relocated the solenoid and did not know it needed grounding by mounting. I ran a new ground and it fired right up with the lawnmower solenoid. How does yours get the ground?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
11 Feb 2010 15:43 #347761 by S.P.75
The solenoid is just hanging there. it's not mounted at all. I didn't mount it because I hadn't decided where to tuck it yet. I'll try it tonight. That would be awesome if that was the case.
Thanks

More
18 Feb 2010 05:04 #348923 by S.P.75
Kawickrice was right. I bolted the solenoid to the frame and hit the starter button and got the bike to turn over. I put a little trickle charge on the battery and now have solid turn-over. just need to wire in the headlight and tail light and then move to the next phase, attaching the tank and getting it to fire up.
Thanks everyone for their contributions. I'm one step closer to resurrecting an old kz back to life!