Coils

More
22 Jan 2010 23:00 #344039 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Coils

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2010 08:07 #344067 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic Coils
The problem with servicing the electrical systems on these bikes is simple. You have do the work too often. Yes, you can clean all of the connections, plugs, switches, and grounds and you can get all of your systems to show close to full battery voltage. For a short time! All too soon your right back to either cleaning parts again or living with a voltage loss.
The power relays I use trip with as little as 8 volts DC, and the consume very little when activated. My YZF has been modded and now runs 6 active power relays. The power supply path to each of these systems is as short as possable, battery + ,fuse, relay, load, battery -. I use 12 guage primary wire before the load and for the ground I use 10 guage wire (I do combine a few ground paths, thats why I use 10 guage for this). The only load that the OEM harness has to deal with is the tiny load required to trip the relays. Yes, its additionl weight, and its a little more complicated then the OEM system, but it works! My lights are brite, the horn is always loud, the tail and brake light are briter then with the OEM system, it starts better,and batterys last 6 years. And I'm not in my shop every 6 months trying to clean electrical parts.
My design does have its potential problems, like what if a relay goes bad!?! I use the automotive relays that Radio Shack sells, so those are always avalible ( I also carry a spair). The total weight of my mod is less then 3 lbs. and I weigh about 230 lbs. so if I start to worry about the weight my poor YZF has to carry I'll go on a diet long befor I start removing this mod.

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

More
23 Jan 2010 10:17 #344092 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Coils
The skinny wire that feeds the coils is too small on the kz. Replacing that wire cures the drop at the coils. And the plugs turn white. Power goes up. Starts better. NOw why would I want to go testing for grounds, etc. When it's only one wire responsible for the drop? Ase test states that one should perform the easiest tests FIRST. Owner of an auto shop I worked for told me somethings wrong with a jeep, it has a hesitation, fix it. I thought accel pump, but no that would be too easy, so I never checked that. This was his way to test what I knew. I couldnt find the miss so he walked up, looked into the carb moved the throttle and said accel pump, fix it. I felt stupid. The rod would not go into the hole it was in so I put it in the next one and it worked fine. NOt good enough I thought.. Told him about it and he said does it work in the hole it's in? I told him yes and he said whats the problem then? And that's my question now. Whats the PEROBLUMM? Mods sounds alot like MEDS. HEy Barney! doc says I'm losing hp! Some people forget to boost, some never should. Some where at some point, someone may just weld the countershaft sprocket nut and be done with it. I'd drink a beer with that guy! 1000 people outside OMR's house holding torches and chanting coil mod, coil modd! He grabs his shotgun and the stock falls off, ends up out on the porch with a scorpion in his hand, waving it around saying SHOOO! SHOOO! The chanters start taking there boots off and throwing them toward him. He wakes up, bangs his head on the kz parts hanging from the ceiling, brings his hands to his aching head, swearing up and down hell never drink whiskey with a plummer again.

More
23 Jan 2010 10:25 #344093 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Coils
Nads... :angry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
23 Jan 2010 15:39 #344123 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Coils
"My YZF has been modded and now runs 6 active power relays."

Cool! That's 18 more HP for only $72. I gotta get me some of those relays for my truck.:laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Jan 2010 18:52 #344181 by enaz1
Replied by enaz1 on topic Coils
Hear ,Hear, lets hear it for old school! what makes a 57 chevy, or an ac crodra, or rt charger. style,drourblity,power. in it time the kawasaki 900 set the scale for all others to measured! if it wasn't for the craftmanship of a young company, to compete with the leaders.they would have go the way of Yugo!in my mind,73-76 kawasaki's had the style of 57 chevy and the power of a codra,with dapenability!i would not be afraid to ride my 900 from east coast to west. i know i would make it even with points. i pull the mod ya'll been talking about and thew it away. if your going to go to all that trouble. why not just fix the problem. could it be that hard it's not a auto, they have more wires.if you can install a boom system in your ride then you can fix the cycle.if it lasted for this long, the system not cheep just old! like me.

75 z1 900 Big Guy

More
23 Jan 2010 22:49 #344223 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic Coils
Hay Ned, I think the word is Luddite!

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

More
24 Jan 2010 10:57 - 24 Jan 2010 11:11 #344301 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Coils
hardr0ck68 wrote:

I guess I just don't get your point OMR, I mean if it makes the bike run better, and it is quick and easy (versus a time consuming and expensive re-wire) why not do it?

I guess what OMR is saying is that it only fixes one symptom of bad wiring. It doesn't address the other problems.

In another post you said you had an O2 sensor system installed, but the charging system didn't have enough power to operate it. Which o2 system do you have? The one I have only needs about 2 amps while it warms up and .7 amps after that. That's certainly not enough that a charging system can't handle it.

Is it possible that there are other wiring issues on the bike? Well that's OMR's point. It really doesn't fix any of the wiring problems on the bike, it just bandaid's the most obvious symptom.

I'm not saying don't use it, just be aware of what the mod is and what it isn't. I'm glad it worked for you and the bike is running good, and I know for most people wiring is the Achilles heel of motorcycle maintenance. But there is still really no substitute for replacing bad wires and connectors and fixing or replacing broken switches and fuse holders. New switches don't cost that much. People spend more money on tires or exhausts than they would on a new ignition switch. The wire itself is practically free, relatively speaking. But I realize it's basically a matter of knowledge, which is why OMR is going through boatloads of trouble and effort to try to explain it in the Electrical theory thread he has going.

From the "I want a Kerker" thread:
hardr0ck68 wrote:

...I still had the sooty plugs, so I used the WG coil mod, ... I installed a wide-band o2 sensor; but the over worked charging system cannot cope with the amp's required to run it properly. Something I will correct with my winter project.

By the way, I didn't mean for this post to get so long, and it's not really meant to be adressed to you, Hardrock. I think most people who have success with the coil mod would like to know why OMR is so vocal about it.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2010 11:11 by loudhvx.