New harness?

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
20 Jul 2009 06:47 #308195 by riverroad
New harness? was created by riverroad
Hi all, been a while since I've posted here. But that's just because my bike has been running perfectly, until now.
Last night she quit on me when I hit a bump. But she started right back up. Then she quit again. Lights still worked, but obviously I had a primary ignition wire problem. Took the tank off, started her up and started fiddling with the coil wires. When I moved one of them, she quit again. So, I've figured out where my open is. Just gotta fix it now.
But it occurs to me, that this can't be the only wire that is degrading.
Does anybody make an entire replacement harness for the KZ1000LTD?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2009 07:48 #308207 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New harness?
I'm thinking that Americanclassix.com carries repro harnesses for the KZ1000A1/A2 and the KZ1000D1/D3... those should be awful close to what you have. :unsure:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
20 Jul 2009 08:18 #308215 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic New harness?
Thanks Mcdroid, I'll check 'em out.

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
20 Jul 2009 10:59 #308230 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic New harness?
Mcdroid wrote:

I'm thinking that Americanclassix.com carries repro harnesses for the KZ1000A1/A2 and the KZ1000D1/D3... those should be awful close to what you have. :unsure:

I think the D1/D3 harness is closer to what you need, as far as the 7 pin ignition switch connector.

The A1/A2 will work, but will have to change to the 6 pin ignition switch, which is what I did. I modified the indicator and other electrical components slight, but the results were good.

Good luck

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

More
20 Jul 2009 11:03 #308232 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic New harness?
Con't say where to get a harness, but I can confirm, there will be other bad spots in the harness. I've disassmbled a couple dozen harness, and some are so bad under the wrapping it's amazing the bikes still ran.

They usually are the worst near the head tube and headlight, and any other areas where the wires move or come into contact with moving parts.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
20 Jul 2009 12:29 #308243 by riverroad
Wow, 350 bucks is kinda hard to take, but since this is my sweetheart, I think shes worth it.
OTOH, maybe if I scored a used harness off of ebay, then bought all new wires and connectors, maybe I can make a brand new one copying the one I bought. Don't particularly want to remove my existing harness to copy it. Too much down time.
But if I build one, it'll be a good one.
Anybody know how many different colors and wire gauges I need? Guess I should also invest in a wiring diagram too.

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
20 Jul 2009 12:34 #308245 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic New harness?
Go to filebase under the KZ information tab, and compare both 1978 KZ 1000a to the 1980 KZ1000a. Very similar.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

More
20 Jul 2009 13:21 #308251 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New harness?
riverroad wrote:

Anybody know how many different colors and wire gauges I need? Guess I should also invest in a wiring diagram too.

The colossal problem is that the B1/2/3/4 wiring diagrams were all originally printed in B&W by Kawasaki and are difficult to read. I have tried to post pdfs on this site for the LTD's but my scanner is apparently too crappy to give a high resolution pdf.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
20 Jul 2009 14:09 #308260 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New harness?
As for wire gauges I'd use 12 gauge for most of the high current supply lines(like the WHITE with RED stripe ones).

14 gauge for the alternator output wiring lines, and 16 gauge for most of the rest.If you have a low current need, maybe dropping down to 18 gauge would work.

The higher current cables/wires on the battery to starter solenoid should be a minimum of 8 gauge with 6 gauge being my choice. Don't forget the cable/wire going to the starter motor as it should be the same size as the one from the battery to the solenoid.

Some wiring supply websites:

www.mcmelectronics.com
Tena Auto Ranging Multimeter
72-7750
Dry Vinyl Tape From Tape Brothers
www.tapebrothers.com

Dry Vinyl Tapes are non-adhesive plasticized polyvinyl chloride film tape. Easy unwinding characteristics - tape clings firmly to it’s own backing for tight wrap. High elongation and good strength to permit trouble-free binding of wiring harnesses for the automotive industry. Dry vinyl tape also used for plating applications- high stretch, good “cling” characteristics and great conformability provide for superior masking in hard chrome and other plating applications.

DVT-76B 2 in. x 250 ft. Black Dry Vinyl Tape
2 in. x 250 ft. Black Dry Vinyl Tape
Our Price: $6.54 Per Roll

www.wiringharness.com
You've probably looked everywhere for this Non-Adhesive Harness Tape. It's impossible to find. We've got it though, and it's 100% correct.
• Non-Adhesive Vinyl Harness Tape, made to the original mil-thickness.
• Just wrap it tightly around the wires and knot the end.
• 100 foot roll is enough to do 3 to 4 harnesses complete.
• Available in three different widths, as original.
• Correct for all years (1955 to Present).

Part # Description Price
R0058272 3/4" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $12.00
R0058276 1" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $13.00
R0067108 1-1/4" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $15.00
www.keefeperformance.com/silicone_tape.html

"36 Foot" roll of Self bonding silicone tape
High temperature silicone tape
This Mil-spec silicone tape is Rated up to 500+ degrees

Made of silicone rubber, this self fusing silicone tape will protect most all electrical wiring, connectors, hoses, spark plug boots and more from extremely high temperatures. The self vulcanizing process automatically begins when the two sides of the tape are put into contact. A catalyst on one side of the tape begins the bonding process as soon as wrapping takes place.
great for all electrical wiring, harness, cable, and hose applications
Colors: Red and Black
Exceeds MIL AA-59163 TYPE 1 & 2
ASTM-D 2137 / -65C
ASTM D-412
ASTM D-149
Electrical, Home, Auto, Truck, RV, Marine, Motorcycle, Military, Commercial, Industrial, Generator
Heat Shrink Butt Splices From Cable Organizers
www.cableorganizers.com
PART # WIRE GAUGE COLOR PACK QTY PRICE
NSPA-KS5-20 22-24 AWG CLEAR 50 $13.89
NSPA-KS5-16 18-20 AWG RED 50 $13.49
NSPA-KS5-14 14-16 AWG BLUE 50 $13.82
NSPA-KS5-10 10-12 AWG YELLOW 50 $16.48
NSPA-KS5-08 8 AWG PINK 50 $43.52

More electrical supply places to look:

www.easternbeaver.com
www.vintageconnections.com
www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu
www.electricalconnection.com
www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm
www.terminalsupplyco.com
www.terminaltown.com
www.electerm.com
www.wiringproducts.com
www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk
www.painlessperformance.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Jul 2009 16:08 - 20 Jul 2009 16:08 #308290 by loudhvx
12 is a little overkill in my opinion. It's so hard to work with and I don't think I've come across a place where I use that much current. 14 covers most heavy current for me, except for the starter circuit. I use 3 16's on the output from the stator, then 14 for the rest of the charging system to the battery.

I'm not saying not to use 12, obviously, since heavier is better, but over the years, wiring many bikes from scratch, I've moved away from the 12... too much frustration and not enough benefit.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 16:08 by loudhvx.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
20 Jul 2009 17:22 #308312 by riverroad
Wow! Thanks for all that MFolks.
So do you guys even bother with color coded wiring? Or do you just go by whats connected to what.

Been a long time since I studied up on voltage drops, DC circuits and E= I X R's. But I do know to use the heaviest wiring I can get away with on any given circuit.
I also have access to lots of aircraft type shrink tubing and self adhesive wrap. ;)

Anyway, got home this afternoon and took the tank off again to try to find the open in the wire. Turns out it wasn't open at all. I was pulling on one wire last night in the dark, and when that killed my motor, I assumed that was the wire. Well today I discovered that the wire I was pulling on goes to my lights or signals (L/H control), and when I'd pull on it, it was in turn pulling on another (yellow) wire, which turned out to have a loose connector. All I had to do was plug the damned thing back in.

So, for now I'm holding off on building another harness. Could be a great winter project though.

Thanks a lot guys!

More
20 Jul 2009 18:00 #308317 by loudhvx
I generally use my own color codes, but mine are loosely based on Kawasaki's. Generally, I only find red, black, white, blue, green, yellow, and purple sometimes orange and sometimes gray. I can usually make do with those colors, but some colors have double duty (as they do in the Kawasaki color scheme too.)