running lights

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2009 21:58 #286128 by brianpclarke
running lights was created by brianpclarke
Hey guys...
I recently bought a 1976 kz900 and seem to have an electrical issue. Electrical is definitely not my forte.. and I was pulled today by a cop who threatened to take my bike if he saw me riding again soo...

Help me refresh my memory: the running lights consist of the headlight, tail light, and the two signals in the front right?

Well, the ignition has 3 settings (from left to right) OFF, ON, and OFF. The OFF switch to the far left is good... performs what it is intended to do. When I turn the ignition on, the headlight comes on, but no tail light or signal lights. When I turn the key all the way to the right, everything is off, but the tail light comes on and stays on, but still no signal running lights.

The signals work when the bike is on... are a little slow but they work. Also the signals up front are aftermarket from Z1 and only have a positive wire.

So I am assuming that the ignition is to blame... but again... I am horrible at working on electrical systems.

All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Brian

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2009 22:07 #286129 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic running lights
Some simple checks to perform:
1.make a map of what fuse goes where,and pull each one checking for how well the older glass tubed fuses are put together.

2. If the metal end caps come off the fuse is bad.Replacement fuses are of the AGX type found at any good auto parts store in 10,20, and 30 amp ratings.

3.If the fuses look good get either a self powered test light or a multimeter and do an electrical continuity check on the fuses.

$. If everything looks good, clean the clips in the fuse holder with some fine sandpaper or the green scotchbrite abrasive pad.

If still no taillight/brake light ask here and we will walk you through troubleshooting.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2009 23:00 #286134 by brianpclarke
Replied by brianpclarke on topic running lights
The running lights.. are they the front signals or the rear ones?

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

More
28 Apr 2009 23:07 - 28 Apr 2009 23:10 #286135 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic running lights
brianpclarke wrote:

Hey guys...
I recently bought a 1976 kz900 and seem to have an electrical issue. Electrical is definitely not my forte.. and I was pulled today by a cop who threatened to take my bike if he saw me riding again soo...

Help me refresh my memory: the running lights consist of the headlight, tail light, and the two signals in the front right?

Correct: low wattage filaments in the two front turn signals, the low wattage filament in the brake light bulb, and the headlight low beam must all be on during running (ignition switch in run position).

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 23:10 by bountyhunter.

More
28 Apr 2009 23:08 #286136 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic running lights
brianpclarke wrote:

Stock wiring is front only, many people change the rears to dual filament bulbs to add them but not required.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Apr 2009 04:51 #286161 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic running lights
brianpclarke wrote:

Am thinking oem KZ900 US model has single filament turn signals on both front and rear that operate only as turn signals and don't serve double duty as running lights. They're supposed to blink only when the blinker switch is activated by the left-thumb switch, and aren't supposed to burn continuously.

The headlight has a simple on-off switch (right-side thumb-switch) and isn't always-on, and doesn't have a back-up reserve headlight system. Nothing fancy -- just a simple on-off switch. The headlight is not supposed to burn automatically when the ignition switch is turned ON (unless the headlight right-thumb on-off switch happens to already to clicked into the ON position.

The police officer is likely mistaken if he thinks the applicable traffic law applies retroactively to require dual function turn signal lights on a motorcycle that was designed and originally equipped with single purpose turn signals that only blink as turn signals and don't serve double duty as always-on running lights.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Apr 2009 08:54 #286205 by MFolks
On most of the Kawasaki's Ive owned (77 KZ1000 and 82 GPZ1100) the color codes on the wires for brake,and tail light is: Blue(sometimes with a red stripe)brake circuit,Red tail light or running light circuit, and Black with Yellow stripe is the ground wire.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
29 Apr 2009 09:45 #286214 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic running lights
1976 KZ900 had no running lights. The ignition switch is off-on-park. In on when your headlight switch is also on, you get headlight and taillight. In park you get a taillight only. No running lights in any position on the turn signals

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 Apr 2009 10:03 #286217 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic running lights
RonKZ650 wrote:

1976 KZ900 had no running lights. The ignition switch is off-on-park. In on when your headlight switch is also on, you get headlight and taillight. In park you get a taillight only. No running lights in any position on the turn signals

100% correct.

Whenever headlight is burning, the taillight should also be burning.

With ignition switch turned ON, the brakelight should burn upon application of either hand brake or foot brake, regardless of whether headlight and taillight is burning.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Apr 2009 11:29 #286237 by brianpclarke
Hmm... so thats why the tailight is coming on when the ignition is turned to the far right. So, should I suspect the ignition if the tailight comes on when in "park" but not when "on"?

Also, the law here does not require the turn signals to be running... I just thought that they were supposed to. However, the police officer does believe that this is the law... Could I splice the running taillight wire to the rear turn signals to keep them running at night? Probably would offer safety if nothing else...

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

More
29 Apr 2009 11:59 #286242 by MFolks
I'd get a test light or a multimeter and see why no power to the tail light when the headlight is on, also check the fuses and clips for continuity and corrosion.If you're not comfortable in using a multimeter or test light,have one or more of your friends show you how to use them.

Unless the rear turn signals had dual filiment bulbs and sockets, it would not work trying to splice the wires to the running light circuit. I also think any rear running lights in most states have to be red in color.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Apr 2009 22:07 #286755 by brianpclarke
Well, finally had a chance today and go in and look at some of the things you guys advised on. Changed the fuses, looked at all the connections for corrosion. Everything looked good. Also took a look at the bulb itself. Filaments looked good, and the bulb and the metal bulb housing looked good. Sorry though, recently moved and dont have any tools... so I will get a multimeter this weekend to support these claims.

Again, electrical is not my strong point... and the police have an eye for me... so no riding until I get this fixed, which is killing me!

But, the basics again: 1976 kz900 LTD. Signals work, headlight works, the bright filament in the rear tailight works in park, and the tailight works when the brake is applied...

Thanks again for all the help! The bike whispers to me every time I walk by... especially with all this warm weather in a mountain town in Utah...

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD