running lights

More
30 Apr 2009 22:30 #286795 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic running lights
I'm wondering if the problem is a broken ground wire in the tail light. The wire color will be Black with a Yellow stripe. As I mentioned earlier the Red wire is the running light or tail light circuit, and the Blue(sometimes with a red stripe)is the brake light circuit.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Apr 2009 23:05 #286843 by brianpclarke
Replied by brianpclarke on topic running lights
Inadvertently, what is the black box underneath the battery box with wires running to it? Looks like the previous owner went a little deep into the electrical tape and skimmed some wires running to it...

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

More
01 May 2009 01:41 #286906 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic running lights
brianpclarke wrote:

...bright filament in the rear tailight works in park, and the tailight works when the brake is applied....

Should be the opposite. Bright brake filament in rear bulb should light when brake is applied. And dimmer tail light filament in rear bulb should light when ignition is in "park."

Under the seat over the rear fender, two different color wires from the harness have bullet connectors (readily accessible), one is the brake light wire, and the other is the tail light wire. Would try reversing the connections from harness wires to rear light.

There are also conectors from two other harness wires feeding the rear turn signals (perhaps one grey and one green). Would also assure these being properly connected to blink the correct turn signal. If reversed, it's possible to have the front and rear turn signals out of sync with each other. For example, right rear blinking while front left blinking.

The "box" mounted underneath the battery is probably the voltage regulator or an aftermarket regulator/rectifier combination unit (available from Z1E).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2009 13:14 - 11 May 2009 21:29 #290235 by brianpclarke
Replied by brianpclarke on topic running lights
Finally figured it all out! It was a bad ignition, which explains why the tail light was running in the "park" position, but not in the "on" position.
Thanks for all the help guys.

####EDIT figured it all out... amazing what a PBR and 30 minutes can accompish###

Also, I tried to clean up some of my wires, and I think I rewired my main fuse wrong. Wondering if anyone can help me out.

This is a 76 kz 900 LTD.
Currently I have the red/white wire connected to two white wires, one running to the starter, and the other going back into the wiring harness.
And the other side of the fuse, a white wire running to I am assuming the voltage regulator? A metal box located right next to the fuse box.

I dont think this is right... I have been blowing that fuse left and right.

Thanks again guys!

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD
Last edit: 11 May 2009 21:29 by brianpclarke.