Yet another problem... kz750

More
01 Apr 2009 12:08 #277429 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Yet another problem... kz750
meNmyKZ wrote:

Alright, i just went out and found a wire with some coating wore off. Moved it around and it seems to be working now. Hope this is the problem, i really don't wanna get stranded. I will tape it up. Thanks for the help... sorry for the drama. THANKS!!!

Also if becomes too much of a problem my office is in Columbus and you can just drop it off. Or I could send a truck to pick it up. If you are closer to Cleveland I have a place up there also. I will be happy to ease your frustrations...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2009 15:28 #277476 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic Yet another problem... kz750
I agree, I need to calm down and just figure this bike out. Do you guys think its bad for the bikes electrical system to be outside, but under a cover? Does it need to be in a garage? Also, do they make new wiring harnesses for old bikes like these? I found used ones, but I want new and dependable.

More
01 Apr 2009 16:19 #277482 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Yet another problem... kz750
You can get some micro files and some di-electric grease a beer or two and sit and clean the connections. While you are at it look for exposed, split or melted wire. Make sure your fuse holders are nice and tight or better yet replace the glass with a blade fuse block. Good for an afternoon and good for peace of mind. It is tough because these old wires can do some nasty things like break inside the sheathing. I just bought 2 used harnesses for my 77 650 for a total of $40. I'll split them inspect them and clean them. There was a new one offered for $389. I would have hung my own loom for that. You may be able to find a new one but you will pay for it.
As for being outside a little moisture can play havoc by arcing spark to engines and metal. Bikes are better indoors but so are cars or anything. But it should not be a problem if everything is good. GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
01 Apr 2009 16:55 #277488 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Yet another problem... kz750
All bikes take constant maintenence. Tire pressure nedds to be checked each time. Chain,lights,brake fluid,under the seat, etc... Flat tire or low pressure on a car can wreck a few hours same thing on a bike can wreck your life. Low oil in a car and you will know by the sound and the temperature gauge. Same thing on a bike and you have a nightmare on your hands. Motorcycles require constant checking and a cool head. Start it and go doesnt work old or new. I suggest you get an owners manual, relax, study, take a deep breath and learn as much about your bike and how to operate it. It will payback 10 fold...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
01 Apr 2009 17:29 #277499 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic Yet another problem... kz750
First off I can't agree more that I need to cool down when things happen. And it is almost 30 years old, I shouldn't expect it to be like new or maintanence free. This is my first old bike, I have some learning to do. I have a Clymers and a shop manual, but when I looked through the troubleshooting guide I couldn't find my problem. Believe it or not, I was alot calmer than I expected I would be after it wouldn't start, so I am getting better. Plus for those of you that have seen my other threads, I just quit smoking, which helps me get pissed off. But its been over a week now and no cigarette!!! At least I can be proud of to over come the shame of having zero mechanics skills. I am learning tho..

More
01 Apr 2009 18:45 #277523 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Yet another problem... kz750
Locozuna wrote: "I got a ton of spare parts that I was throwing in and he said he doesn't want them..."

That reminds me of when I sold my BSA. I had a shop manual and very large box of good spare parts, including some pretty rare factory competition stuff I got from Gary Nixon, but the buyer said he didn't want them. He gave me cash, put a tag on the bike, and was off. You would think his buddy that drove him there in a car would have taken the parts for him anyway, but they left them and never came back. His loss / my gain. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Apr 2009 16:56 - 02 Apr 2009 16:58 #277787 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic There is a question... deep in this post lol
Well, it was nice out today, so I got to wrenching on the bike a lil bit. Rebuilt the calipers. Made me feel nice. That was my first motorcycle project....ever... and it went smooth. I was surprised. For some reason I have a fear of loosening a bolt and everything just falling apart and springs and stuff flying everywhere. Probably from taking apart toys as a kid and never putting them back together. Who knows... Well anyways, here is what I noticed when I was working...the wiring on this thing is horrible. Several with wore away covering and all the other things I am sure you find in a old bike. Anyways, I was thinking of slowing cleaning up and rewiring everything, the thing is, I don't want half the stuff thats wired up. I would like to eliminate everything except what needed to run the bike and to have lights, blinkers and a starter. No horn. No oil, neutal, blinker, high beam, and gas indicator lights. Just whats needed. Is this a bad idea? Does the engine somehow need any of this useless (to me) stuff? Is it a bad idea to eliminate the factory wiring harness and just make your own set-up? Thanks
Last edit: 02 Apr 2009 16:58 by meNmyKZ.

More
02 Apr 2009 17:20 #277802 by TJMD
I would leave the bike stock-as far as the wiring goes.everything was put there for a reason(the horn-to alert others,the indicator lights-to let you know what's going on with your motor(oil light),what gear you're in-if you're in neutral,if you're low on gas,if you're blinding somebody w/ your hi-beam,etc.). I would look for burned wires-could indicate a short.Take your gas tank off and look at the wiring under there.I've found a lot of bad wires this way.Another place to look is inside your headlight-a lot of wires merge in there.The best bet after reading about your problem would be to check ALL the wiring from front to back-this is even before you use a Volt or Ohm meter(remember that you can only use an ohm-meter with no power applied or you'll cook it! You can find a lot of broken wires by just checking for continuity.

More
02 Apr 2009 17:21 #277803 by 650ed
The oil/neutral/blinker/highbeam/brake light indicators were never on the old bikes (heck, my BSA didn't even come with turn signals) so it's up to you if you think they serve a purpose, BUT I wouldn't go without a horn. If you don't care for the stock horn you may want to get something louder or different looking. Personally, riding in the D.C. area, I wish I had the horn (whistle) from the Queen Mary, but I believe it was powered by steam! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Apr 2009 18:52 - 02 Apr 2009 18:53 #277836 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic There is a question... deep in this post lol
Thanks to the both of you(650ed and TJMD). You kinda hit what I was thinking Ed. My dads old 40's Harley(suicide shifter) didn't have anything. No speedo, no blinkers...nothing. I really don't need any of that extra stuff. I understand that its nice to look down to see if its in neutral, but I don't even do that now. I don't use any of the stuff except the tach and the speedo. I can see my blinkers, so I know when they are on(plus didn't I just turn them on? hope i can remember that...) I always check the oil and gas before I start it. I don't trust those lil "sensors" anyways. I know its in neutral cuz i just clicked the shifter half way up from first gear, the clutch is out and I am not moving. As for the horn, I might keep that around, tho I doubt I would use it. So, basically what I am asking is, will the engine run fine if i eliminate all the sensor wires and "dashboard" crap wires ect ect ect? thx
Last edit: 02 Apr 2009 18:53 by meNmyKZ.

More
02 Apr 2009 19:05 - 02 Apr 2009 19:47 #277843 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic ALSO
is it such a bad idea to run all your own new wires? i understand the wiring diagram just fine, and have decent electrical skills. Can't see a problem, but I also have never done it. If its something no one does, I won't touch it. but if its fairly common and possible, i will look more into it. Thanks everyone...
Last edit: 02 Apr 2009 19:47 by meNmyKZ.

More
02 Apr 2009 19:49 #277866 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic ALSO
Some websites for electrical supplies(connectors,wire,heatshrinkable splices, and tools):

1. www.easternbeaver.com
2. www.vintageconnections.com
3. www.electricalconnection.com
4. www.waytekwire.com
5. www.delcity.net
6. www.electerm.com
7. www.wiringproducts.com
8. www.z1enterprises.com (has connectors and wire listed)

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)