Yet another problem... kz750

More
01 Apr 2009 05:19 #277314 by meNmyKZ
Yet another problem... kz750 was created by meNmyKZ
Well I went to go ride this morning. Took off the cover, put in the key, everythings cool so far, all the lights come on, then as soon as I push the start button everything died. I turned the engine over about once. Now I am not getting power to anything. No horn, no lights, nothing. I took the side cover off and checked the fuses, all 3 were ok. I took my multimeter and checked the battery, it was fine. It just acts like i never turned the key on. Any ideas of what is wrong???????????????? It rained last night also, but I had it under a cover. Also i tryed to start it really early in the morning, before the dew was gone. It was covered tho, not sure if thatr would make a difference. I am lost... again... Thx in advance for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2009 05:25 #277316 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Yet another problem... kz750
Did you check the fuses with the multi? If you have the stock fuses in there(old glass type) a visual check is not enough. They can be bad with no visual clue.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
01 Apr 2009 05:28 - 01 Apr 2009 05:29 #277317 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic Yet another problem... kz750
Yep, they are the glass type. I am not very familiar with a multimeter. I know how to check voltage, that is about it, is there a certain setting that makes it so I can test connections, or fuses? If thats not the same idea, how do you check fuses with a multimeter? Thanks
Last edit: 01 Apr 2009 05:29 by meNmyKZ.

More
01 Apr 2009 06:08 #277327 by meNmyKZ
Well, i figured out the multi meter thing and checked the fuses. they are all good. This problem is going to be bad... isn't it? This is a perfect example of my luck....

More
01 Apr 2009 06:41 #277334 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Yet another problem... kz750
Are all of your cables tight and clean battery connections? My bike has behaved like that with a bad battery connection. Everything on, hit start, and everything gone. Just an idea.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
01 Apr 2009 06:47 #277337 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Yet another problem... kz750
just like kawi said double check your battery connections and all your grounds. sounds like a typical voltage problem to me make sure your connections at the starter are good and engine cases grounds are all tight.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
01 Apr 2009 07:12 #277345 by meNmyKZ
Thanks, I checked the battery connections. They were tight. Everything I looked at with wiring seemed to be fine. FREE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COME PICK THIS PIECE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
01 Apr 2009 07:21 #277348 by meNmyKZ
Alright, i just went out and found a wire with some coating wore off. Moved it around and it seems to be working now. Hope this is the problem, i really don't wanna get stranded. I will tape it up. Thanks for the help... sorry for the drama. THANKS!!!

More
01 Apr 2009 07:46 #277352 by Locozuna
Naw ...this is drama....until yesterday at the class trip to the Nuke plant he was her little Sea Monkey. Today......

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
01 Apr 2009 10:17 #277396 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Yet another problem... kz750
What? I was about to ask where the free bike was. :laugh:

Glad it's working now.

More
01 Apr 2009 10:41 #277399 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Yet another problem... kz750
meNmyKZ wrote:

Alright, i just went out and found a wire with some coating wore off. Moved it around and it seems to be working now. Hope this is the problem, i really don't wanna get stranded. I will tape it up. Thanks for the help... sorry for the drama. THANKS!!!

Old Bikes do strange things sometimes. You must be calm and patient with them. It will breakdown on occasion. That is why it is good to study your owners manual and get a good understanding of your bike...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
01 Apr 2009 11:42 #277413 by Locozuna
I second that. Ya really got to get to know your bike. Especially with these old beauties. Just had a guy come look at one of my bikes(Honda). I got a ton of spare parts that I was throwing in and he said he doesn't want them, he "just rides them". Has no intention on wrenching and will bring problems to a mech. I told him I hope he knows a good one that will work on a 25 year old bike. This is one eager dude. He brought his girlfriend with him and she was shooting him down. He says he will park it on the street and take long rides 2 up. It's a old 500 SilverWing Interstate. 2 up? Long rides? Bring it to a mechanic? Park it on the street? Whew! He took the girlfriend aside for about 5 minutes, she got in the car and he came back and paid me. He's picking it up tonight with a buddy. Until I had the money across my palm I thought it was an April Fools joke. Now at least I know the jokes not on me!

I might even buy me a Hotel!!:woohoo:
I had to make the joke but the story is real. It's sold.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied