total loss ignition set up???

More
23 Mar 2009 16:53 #274649 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic total loss ignition set up???
why a total loss system on a road bike?? do you like pushing the bike home?? they are ok for a track bike that only runs for a short time. as the battery voltage drops so does the spark intensity. you'll know the battery is getting flat when the motor starts to break up. if you only ride to the end of the driveway then fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2009 17:31 #274660 by gaillarry
Replied by gaillarry on topic total loss ignition set up???
It's for racing on the track.

1977 KZ1000
1985 Gpz750

More
23 Mar 2009 19:39 #274705 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic total loss ignition set up???
My good ole BSA had a total loss ignition. It came standard compliments of Lucas Electric, Ltd. (very limited). It also had the standard total loss lighting because as Lucas states in their sales brochures "Gentlemen shouldn't be motoring about after dark anyway."

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Mar 2009 22:32 #274732 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic total loss ignition set up???
650ed wrote:

My good ole BSA had a total loss ignition. It came standard compliments of Lucas Electric, Ltd. (very limited). It also had the standard total loss lighting because as Lucas states in their sales brochures "Gentlemen shouldn't be motoring about after dark anyway."

:laugh: :laugh:

I seem to have made "total-loss" investments lately too.

More
23 Mar 2009 23:10 #274737 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic total loss ignition set up???
i run total loss ignitions in both of my drag bikes one is a dyna's with a drl-400 two step i use a ytx 14 agm battery and the second system is a dyna 4000 super pro ignition with a ytx20 battery to power the system i'm anal about keeping a full charge in it all the time so after every pass i put it on charge the dyna's system seems to pull more juice then the 4000 also with the 4000 series ignition it will stop drawing current after awile so you could leave the ignition switch on and not hurt anything.i have seen people who have left there dynas sytems on over night and wasn't a pretty sight. fried both coils and also the ignition plate as well also a second plate because the coils had shorted out no fuse in the system. i have heard good things about the dyna 2000 ignition but i don't have much experiance with them other than installing them for people the wern't anygood to me because they don't have a two- step.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
24 Mar 2009 04:06 #274763 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic total loss ignition set up???
650ed wrote:

:laugh: zing.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

My dad used to be a euro import mechanic, worked on a lot of Jags and old British cars.

Some of you have probably heard this one a few times!

"You know why the British drink warm beer?"

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
24 Mar 2009 07:59 #274822 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic total loss ignition set up???
timebomb33 wrote:

i have seen people who have left there dynas sytems on over night and wasn't a pretty sight. fried both coils and also the ignition plate as well also a second plate because the coils had shorted out no fuse in the system.

Very good point. I'm not sure if you meant the Dyna S, but the Dyna S will definitely do that if left on. When it's powered up, it runs full current through both coils most of the time. Basically it turns the coils into a little space heater.

On another subject... you guys running total-loss... I though I heard of batteries with an extra cell being used. That way, instead of 12 volts, you get more like 14v to more closely mimic the voltage from a charging system. Anyone had any experience with that? Better? No difference?