Starter Clutch - kz750B

More
18 Sep 2008 19:01 #237684 by noclue
Starter Clutch - kz750B was created by noclue
i've searched and read and although i found many a thread regarding the starter clutch and how they go out on these bikes, i couldn't find any information on actually getting in and removing and replacing the affected parts, and where i could get the parts needed to fix.

right now, i have the left side cover off and can't get the nut loose that on the shaft...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2008 06:25 #237886 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Starter Clutch - kz750B
You can't get the nut loose that's on the shaft?? Are you trying to remove the sprocket?

Remove the rear sprocket cover, remove the front stator cover, remove the bolt in the center of the rotor, use rear axle to screw into center of rotor, tightly, smack end of axle with big hammer, rotor should pop off.

Starter clutch is mounted on back of rotor, parts may be available at Z1 Enterprises, but you may have to call and ask.

KD9JUR

More
20 Sep 2008 07:19 #237894 by BLR_STS
Replied by BLR_STS on topic Starter Clutch - kz750B
My biggest suggestion would be drop $33 on a CLYMERS MANUAL for your bike. I had never touched one of these bikes before and it helped me through it without problem. Hope this helps!

1981 KZ 750

More
20 Sep 2008 09:21 #237908 by noclue
Replied by noclue on topic Starter Clutch - kz750B
thanks...

yeah, i'm waiting on shipment on one of those factory manuals on cd...let's see how that pans out.

the motor is in an off road kart...it was starting and running just fine, only had clutch (drive) issues as it wouldn't disengage. we got that all sorted out, but after reassembly, the whole starter clutch now sounds like its slipping.

since i'm impatient, this is the bolt that i'm at:

when turning, should i but it in gear then turn ccw?

More
20 Sep 2008 13:37 - 20 Sep 2008 13:45 #237925 by steell
Ok, a bolt, not a nut :)

It would probably work a lot better if you turned that bolt clockwise to remove it, it has left hand threads.

Behind that bolt is a larger threaded hole, that's the hole the axle will thread into, and it has right hand threads.

You may not know it, but the Kawasaki KZ twins turn opposite from the KZ fours, the fours rotate in the same direction as the wheels when moving forward, the twins rotate in the opposite direction. Looking at the pic above, the motor rotates clockwise.

An off road cart, huh??
How good does it go with the 750 twin motor on there? I have a spare motor or two and have been contemplating building an off road cart, or maybe an on road car with the price of gas what it is.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 20 Sep 2008 13:45 by steell.

More
20 Sep 2008 17:10 #237948 by noclue
nut, bolt, fasterner, :silly:

ahhh, so that's the one that's left hand threaded...that being the case, when turning it, should i have it in gear? would that stop the whole assembly from rotating?

as far as the axle, would you know what the tread size would be...i don't have the stock axle...

what's usually the things is should be looking to replace? springs?

More
20 Sep 2008 20:02 #237964 by steell
Hmm, guess the rear axle off your off-road cart would be unlikely to work :D

17mm I think, but I'm not sure.

Springs and rollers are the normal replacement items.

Air impact, electric impact, or a wrench and a 16 oz ball peen hammer should do for the bolt.

KD9JUR

More
22 Sep 2008 09:10 #238185 by noclue
nah, i doubt a vw stub axle is going to work...

but thanks for the help so far...i was ablt to get the bolt out using an air impact...took longer to find the socket and extension and waiting to fill the air tank than it did to get the bolt loose...

springs and rollers...are these special hard to get items? what usually happens, they just wear out?

More
22 Sep 2008 10:18 #238199 by ghunt81
Replied by ghunt81 on topic Starter Clutch - kz750B
You can get the springs at least from bikebandit.com...they also list the rollers & plungers. I tried to get a new thrust washer and they said those are discontinued.

BTW, when I went to take my flywheel off, I was expecting it to be a pain. I put my 2-arm puller on it, started to turn in the center piece by hand, and it was barely hand tight when the flywheel popped loose. heh, well at least it was easy.

Oh, my springs were all mangled, I put new ones in, the starter clutch still doesn't really work like it used to. I don't know what the deal is.

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin- Coil mod, Dyna coil, 7mm copper core wires

More
16 Aug 2009 13:04 #314341 by blumeri
Replied by blumeri on topic Starter Clutch - kz750B
I have removed my starter clutch three times since putting in new springs and each time everything looks fine and the clutch catches everytime I test it by hand. However, after reassembly, I get maybe two or three turns of the starter before the clutch slips and the gear spins freely. It's very frustrating. When I inspect it, I cannont see anything wrong, and it catches the first time.

More
16 Aug 2009 14:10 #314351 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter Clutch - kz750B
I'd inspect the area the rollers grip and look for signs of wear.Possibly some grooves are forming allowing the clutch to slip.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 Aug 2009 14:11 #314621 by blumeri
Replied by blumeri on topic Starter Clutch - kz750B
My starter clutch assembly has a thin metal plate that covers most of the main assembly. I have not seen it in any of the parts diagrams or in the images here. It prevents me from getting a good look at the surfaces of the slots that the rollers move within. Anybody know anything about this plate and how to remove it without destroying it?

In a newly started thread someone else is having a similar problem and the choice of oil was suggested as a possible problem. I just changed the oil and filled with Castrol GTX 20-50. Anyone know if this might be the problem?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randombeat