Backfire/Clicking

• VintageKz@63
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Oct 2024 15:26 #904959 by VintageKz@63
Backfire/Clicking was created by VintageKz@63
  Hi Folks 
I want to introduce myself to everyone my name is Bryon from Ohio I’m a US Army Vet new here.
My love for KZ went back in my childhood when my brother Claude had a 1976 kz900 when he took me on a ride and hit speed of 126 mph and the bike was riding like it  was going 55 mph so much stability I was hooked. So here’s my dilemma on a 1982 kz1100a2 I bought on EBay I’ll attach a video showing the problem. Thanks 
Attachments:

IMG_4863.mov

IMG_4863.mov

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2024 09:31 - 09 Oct 2024 09:32 #904970 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Backfire/Clicking
Was the engine fully warm when you recorded the video? (just after a ride)

Sounds like it could be cam chain related? Maybe a broken or cracked chain guide??
I hear a faint exhaust backfire but not sure if the engine was cold or not.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2024 09:32 by Injected. Reason: info

• VintageKz@63
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Oct 2024 11:04 #904973 by VintageKz@63
Replied by VintageKz@63 on topic Backfire/Clicking
Thank you Injected for replying. So I started the bike for about 3:30 minutes and I couldn’t get it to click.
Waited about 1 to 2 minutes and started it and then it started to click. I first thought it was a jump from the coil or spark plugs cables but changed the cables from a parts bike that I have but it still clicked also changed  spark plugs they’re new. I had a buddy come over and he thought it was coming from the carbs took fuel tank off and the atmospheric nipples on front top of each carb is as follows. #1 carb is tied into #4 carb with a fuel line which I’m told it shouldn’t be # 3 is open #2 is tied into the fuel tank. There is a slight exhaust leak I tried tightening some were a little loose.
Injected you might be right on the guide or cam tensioner. I was told the bike was only for show with 
24,000 miles. I started work @12am drove to Canada came back down then drove to Wisconsin got there @19:30 pm there time didn’t have much time to check out the bike I was pretty tired.
 I do have a barn find bike 1983 1100a3 I was going to refurbish but then I found this one.

More
09 Oct 2024 12:17 - 09 Oct 2024 13:01 #904974 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Backfire/Clicking
24K miles is not a lot but it may be a age related issue, rubber/plastic in hot oil does not age too well.

Here is what the cam chain assembly looks like :

Not much that can go wrong with this arrangement, same as on the 750's of that year which I have rebuilt so I have dealt with that setup. Pretty bullet proof, but you can still have issues with any moving parts especially those that see friction.

I am not saying that this is the issue but it is one possibility.

Another possibility is the automatic cam chain tensioner is not adjusting correctly and has backed off just a fraction. Those wedge faces can incur notches over time that will make them "hang up" and not adjust fully (I have also encountered that) I suggest taking it apart, inspecting, and clean/lube it. This would be a really quick item to check and eliminate from potential list.

If it were me I would get a automotive stethoscope and have a listen by probing the engine covers/cases with it hot idling.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2024 13:01 by Injected. Reason: info

• VintageKz@63
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Oct 2024 14:25 #904977 by VintageKz@63
My first thought was the noise was coming from the top side of the engine where the coils are I was looking online before you posted the last thread @OEM Kawasaki Parts only go back till 1983 kz1100a3 but they also fit 1982 kz1100a2  not all parts fit so I can get all the parts for guide and tensioners hell I can even get cams for it no sprocket though I’m debating whether or not to do a total rebuild I can get a total gasket set for it while opened I’ll check valves and cylinders wall gears if I’m going in I’m going in all the way.There’s a guy that knows Kawa Vintage bikes I sent him the video if he comes with same conclusion it’s a project for the winter. Once again Injected THANKS 

More
09 Oct 2024 18:24 #904984 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Backfire/Clicking
Vacuum port on number three carb is open to atmosphere? If so, that will cause all sorts of problems by making the mixture in that cylinder very lean. The port should be capped.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• VintageKz@63
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Oct 2024 22:04 #904988 by VintageKz@63
Will cap off TexasKZ  were you able to listen to the clicking sound coming from the video? Would like a second opinion on this. Thanks for the comeback

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
10 Oct 2024 00:24 - 10 Oct 2024 00:25 #904990 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Backfire/Clicking
When looking for noises I use a "mechanics stethoscope" they are cheap and work well to "pin-point" the area  where the noise is coming from

Last edit: 10 Oct 2024 00:25 by Wookie58.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper1963

• VintageKz@63
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2024 09:06 #904996 by VintageKz@63
Yeah I’ll get one thanks Wookie58. I need more tools not enough yet!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Oct 2024 11:47 #904997 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Backfire/Clicking
I have one of those but a long screwdriver or a length of tubing works just as well. 

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
10 Oct 2024 12:24 #904998 by Wookie58

Yeah I’ll get one thanks Wookie58. I need more tools not enough yet!
Great collection but there will always be something you don't have 

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
10 Oct 2024 12:28 #904999 by Wookie58

I have one of those but a long screwdriver or a length of tubing works just as well. 
I would partially agree with you Steve, I have used a long 1/4 drive extension in the past and also a length of hose to sync carbs (listen to em suck) but whilst both work the correct tools are infinitely more accurate