Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

pilot screw 28 May 2024 11:02 #899882

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2689

all valve guides are new and the valves have been professionally seated. Not sure what you mean by the thumb test on the slides.

Put your thumb over the large opening on the top of the intake of the carbs. Lift the slide then put your thumb over the opening, let them go and see if they fall fast or slow. That lets you know if there's a leak up there. 
Steve

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rolf1976_KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

pilot screw 28 May 2024 11:15 #899883

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 147
Like Steve say lift slide and then hold thumb over hole. It should drop real slow
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

pilot screw 15 Jun 2024 07:44 #900751

• kzken750
  • kzken750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for all the replies and interest given to this thread. 

Did the thumb test and the carbs are fine. I went down one on the pilot jet and it ran worse so I quickly changed it back. The pilot screws are now three and a half turns out. Still, it runs great with absolutely no hesitation while under power. Just trying to cruise at any speed and it will seem to surge or slightly buck, not sure how to accurately describe it.  The pick-up coil is new from the factory and the timing advancer seemed to work fine when I put it back in after the rebuild. Simply at a loss what to do here. So much time and money spent on this project. 
Attachments:

Last edit: by kzken750. Reason: attach file

pilot screw 15 Jun 2024 09:10 #900753

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2758
Surging while running at a steady speed is commonly a needle issue.  Dynojet sells a kit for using pods, that comes with different needles.  

pilot screw 17 Jun 2024 05:26 #900851

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 485

Did the thumb test and the carbs are fine. I went down one on the pilot jet and it ran worse so I quickly changed it back. The pilot screws are now three and a half turns out. Still, it runs great with absolutely no hesitation while under power. Just trying to cruise at any speed and it will seem to surge or slightly buck, not sure how to accurately describe it.  The pick-up coil is new from the factory and the timing advancer seemed to work fine when I put it back in after the rebuild. Simply at a loss what to do here. So much time and money spent on this project. 

With that many turns out on the pilot fuel screws it would suggest that you could go one size bigger on the pilots then readjust the screws to a more normal +one turn setting.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

pilot screw 17 Jun 2024 06:26 #900855

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2758

With that many turns out on the pilot fuel screws it would suggest that you could go one size bigger on the pilots then readjust the screws to a more normal +one turn setting.

There is something wrong if the bike surges like described.  3.5 turns open is the functional limit, but we don't even know the pilot circuit is causing the problem in question.  

pilot screw 17 Jun 2024 10:38 #900882

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 485

thanks for the response. but what do you think is causing the feeling of the bike surging when I try to maintain an even speed? I have gone up twice on the pilot jet and there are 3 washers under the needle. I started with two and didn't feel it was right. Went down to one and it was worse. Went to three and as I said the bike runs great under power. Its just that it doesn't want to cruise smoothly. 

Sounds like you could use a richer needle or a Dyno Jet tuning kit. You would get much more response from a different taper on the needle than the spacers could give. Cruising speed would be mostly on the pilot circuit so it may also be lean there as well which might explain the surging. 90% of riding is done on the pilot system, over all jetting points back to a correct main jet size.

Last edit: by Injected.

pilot screw Today 06:33 #901365

• kzken750
  • kzken750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
thanks for all the replies, it is much appreciated. I was off in the mountains in Arizona hiking. As far as the pilot jet goes I have installed the largest one available for that bike. The bike does have a dyno-jet needle.  It was installed after the Yoshimura pipe but before the rebuild with the Wiesco kit.  To the best of my memory the dyno-jet people said they had no data for a Wiesco bore kit. I guess I will have to dig deeper.     thanks guys

Last edit: by kzken750.
  • Page: