Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb rebuilding 14 Jul 2023 22:50 #887233

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 94
O ya silicone is the best. Just ask the guy (Rest In Peace)who rebuilt one of the last z1 bikes I bought. You can never have enough silicone can you. I don't see the need to blast the carbs but if you do it correctly it can be done. Now your carbs look good and I bet you won't find any beads in them. Obviously George needs to stop doing it that way.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cra-z1.

Carb rebuilding 15 Jul 2023 06:03 #887244

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2707
The bead blasting is purely cosmetic, and adds a LOT of extra labor.  It takes a fair bit of time to mask up the carb, to minimize grit inside, not to mention blasting time.  VM carb bodies are zinc, not aluminum, and it takes some time in the cabinet to get them clean.  After blasting, the body gets scrubbed to within an inch of its life, to make sure no grit or grime remains behind.  

Attachments:

Last edit: by Nessism.

Carb rebuilding 15 Jul 2023 11:35 #887265

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1885
Ed since you have a lathe and do a lot of these, would it be worth turning up some nylon cones with a bolt hole through the middle to blank the throttle shaft openings (this is what I plan to do with mine when I finally get to that stage)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Carb rebuilding 15 Jul 2023 12:53 #887270

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

Ed since you have a lathe and do a lot of these, would it be worth turning up some nylon cones with a bolt hole through the middle to blank the throttle shaft openings (this is what I plan to do with mine when I finally get to that stage)

Excellent suggestion, Guy.  I like the way you think!

BTW, I bought a larger lathe, and I'm currently in the process of teaching myself to weld, in order to make a new stand for it.  Lots of fuel Tee's, choke spools, and misc parts coming soon...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Carb rebuilding 15 Jul 2023 13:02 #887271

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 262
Ed - Speaking of nylon cones, you could try reproducing the nylon cone in the mid 74 and up fuel petcocks.  I don't think they are available anywhere.  

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Carb rebuilding 15 Jul 2023 15:27 #887277

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 262
Saw that photo of silicone scraps on the screen and it reminded me - when permatex first started marketing their RTV silicone "gasket maker" (their term not mine!) they had an ad campaign where they assembled a V8 (chevy I think, may have been a ford) using silicone in place of all the gaskets except the head gaskets.  But we never saw what ended up in the oil pump and oil pan!  

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Carb rebuilding 15 Jul 2023 15:40 #887279

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1042
I've vapour blasted every set of Z1 carbs I've owned and never had a problem with the glass beads afterwards.  The bodies just need to be thoroughly washed and then blown with compressed air to clean them out.  

Want to make those yellowed choke plunger thingies white again?  Vapour blast them!
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Carb rebuilding 17 Jul 2023 03:25 #887323

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 652

I've vapour blasted every set of Z1 carbs I've owned and never had a problem with the glass beads afterwards.  The bodies just need to be thoroughly washed and then blown with compressed air to clean them out.  

Want to make those yellowed choke plunger thingies white again?  Vapour blast them!

The thoroughly washed part is important.  We run vapor-blasted carb bodies & parts through an ultrasonic bath using just water and good detergent, then another detergent rinse in a tub by hand, followed by clean water.  Our true test is to place blasted & cleaned parts in a dimly lit space, then step back a few feet & shine a flashlight at them from eye level.  Any glass bead present will reflect light back at the viewer and be quite obvious.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, howardhb

Carb rebuilding 18 Jul 2023 14:43 #887383

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
I'm a huge fan of soda blasting.
the biggest benefit is that its water soluble 

Carb rebuilding 21 Jul 2023 18:19 #887484

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

I'm a huge fan of soda blasting.
the biggest benefit is that its water soluble 

I soda blasted the cylinder head on my 750, to reduce the catastrophe of aggressive grit down into the blind oil passages.  I still washed the head to within an inch of its life, just to be safe.  Soda is not very aggressive, and once it hits the surface, it disintegrates, so not good for cabinet blasting; you can't see anything, and recycling the media is not useful, because it's mostly dust.  That said, if you can deal with a total loss blasting job, soda is great.

P1020014 by nessism , on Flickr

• Page: