Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables

More
02 Sep 2022 16:03 #873263 by ShaneDude
Replied by ShaneDude on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables
Yeah the superglue held it. Its fine and not cracked. But can you answer this directly - if the push pull cables are too tight, could that cause this racing idle thing? Before I had the carbs rebuilt, I checked the manifold boots for cracks and leaks by spraying carb cleaner on them while the carbs were in. They were not leaking.
The way the tube on the airbox side was torn, I think I did that when removing the carbs and didnt see it until today when putting the carbs back in, at which time I posted about it and you responded with the superglue idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2022 16:17 #873264 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables

Yeah the superglue held it. Its fine and not cracked. But can you answer this directly - if the push pull cables are too tight, could that cause this racing idle thing? Before I had the carbs rebuilt, I checked the manifold boots for cracks and leaks by spraying carb cleaner on them while the carbs were in. They were not leaking.
The way the tube on the airbox side was torn, I think I did that when removing the carbs and didnt see it until today when putting the carbs back in, at which time I posted about it and you responded with the superglue idea.

Easiest way to eliminate the cable adjustment is to disconnect both cables and start the motor you can manually manipulate the throttle 

More
02 Sep 2022 17:09 - 03 Sep 2022 10:17 #873266 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables
The throttle cables must have some slack in them when the carbs are resting on the idle stop screw.  You can judge this by grabbing the throttle grip and twisting slightly.  There must be a few mm of throttle grip twist/play before the slack in the cable is taken up and the butterfly's in the carbs begin to rotate open.

BTW, ebay has a boot for $28 shipped.  I'm posting the link, but it won't show up because of a software glitch here.  eBay number 234480430586

Last edit: 03 Sep 2022 10:17 by Nessism.

More
03 Sep 2022 11:12 #873286 by ShaneDude
Replied by ShaneDude on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables

77 KZ750 B twin:

Had the carbs rebuilt. Reputable person/friend.

I put the carbs on, started the bike and  it RACED like CRAZY, up to 6k rpms. So I turned the idle down and nothing. Then the pipes got RED HOT so i had to turn it off. I dont think this is related to the push pull mechanism (could it be set wrong?) but something isnt right. Its my first time putting carbs on and Im pretty sure I did everything right. Could I have misadjusted the push/pull cables or do you think something in the carbs isnt right.

PROBLEM SOLVED! The Throttle cables needed adjusting at the engine bay. Bike is running GREAT! Thanks everyone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58