Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables

More
02 Sep 2022 13:46 #873248 by ShaneDude
77 KZ750 B twin:

Had the carbs rebuilt. Reputable person/friend.

I put the carbs on, started the bike and  it RACED like CRAZY, up to 6k rpms. So I turned the idle down and nothing. Then the pipes got RED HOT so i had to turn it off. I dont think this is related to the push pull mechanism (could it be set wrong?) but something isnt right. Its my first time putting carbs on and Im pretty sure I did everything right. Could I have misadjusted the push/pull cables or do you think something in the carbs isnt right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2022 14:57 #873251 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables
You more than likely have air leaks at the carburetor boots. Replacing the boots should fix the problem.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

More
02 Sep 2022 15:00 #873252 by ShaneDude
Replied by ShaneDude on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables
One of the boots, on the airbox side, had a big tear. I was told I could use crazy glue to repair it and did that. Maybe thats it?  Ive been reading a lot and have seen that throttle cable linkage could also be an issue, but when I roll the throttle at the handlebar it seems fine. When its idling high and i roll the throttle, it RPMS do go up higher, but only go back down to 5k. ive never seen my pipes get red hot so fast, but it happened today.

More
02 Sep 2022 15:25 - 02 Sep 2022 15:26 #873254 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables

One of the boots, on the airbox side, had a big tear. I was told I could use crazy glue to repair it and did that. Maybe thats it?  Ive been reading a lot and have seen that throttle cable linkage could also be an issue, but when I roll the throttle at the handlebar it seems fine. When its idling high and i roll the throttle, it RPMS do go up higher, but only go back down to 5k. ive never seen my pipes get red hot so fast, but it happened today.

Shoot the person who told you to crazy glue the ripped boots.  They go buy a new set.  Get the boots that go on the head too.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2022 15:26 by Nessism.

More
02 Sep 2022 15:28 - 02 Sep 2022 15:37 #873255 by ShaneDude
It was wookie who told me to superglue it. But since youre pretty much the go to guy here, couldnt this be a too-tight-throttle cable issue?
Last edit: 02 Sep 2022 15:37 by ShaneDude.

More
02 Sep 2022 15:31 #873256 by Nessism

That was wookie who told me to superglue it. But since youre pretty much the go to guy here, couldnt this be a too-tight-throttle cable issue?
There is one way to find out...loosen it and see what happens.  

More
02 Sep 2022 15:34 - 02 Sep 2022 15:35 #873257 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables
Red pipes says to me there is a wickedly lean fuel mixture. A racing idle can be caused by major air leaks between the carbs and the engine, which makes for a ver lean mixture.
I would look first at the carb holders. Is the rubber hard and cracked? Are the carburetors fully seated in them? Is the vacuum port on the carb that is not connected to the fuel petcock properly capped? Is the vacuum hose going to the petcock hard and cracked?
Next I would check how the carbs are set up. Was the idle screw set near the middle of its range before doing the preliminary synchronization on the workbench before installing the carbs? Have you confirmed the correct fuel level in both carbs using the clear tube method.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 02 Sep 2022 15:35 by TexasKZ.

More
02 Sep 2022 15:37 - 02 Sep 2022 15:40 #873258 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables

Shoot the person who told you to crazy glue the ripped boots.  They go buy a new set.  Get the boots that go on the head too.
Nessism, glueing the split carb to air box boot is not causing this problem, the air leak would have to be on the head side of the carb. And to be fair the option he had was crazy expensive ($125 for one rubber) so was worth a go as "superglue" works well on rubber
Last edit: 02 Sep 2022 15:40 by Wookie58.

More
02 Sep 2022 15:43 - 02 Sep 2022 15:45 #873259 by ShaneDude

Red pipes says to me there is a wickedly lean fuel mixture. A racing idle can be caused by major air leaks between the carbs and the engine, which makes for a ver lean mixture.
I would look first at the carb holders. Is the rubber hard and cracked? Are the carburetors fully seated in them? Is the vacuum port on the carb that is not connected to the fuel petcock properly capped? Is the vacuum hose going to the petcock hard and cracked?
Next I would check how the carbs are set up. Was the idle screw set near the middle of its range before doing the preliminary synchronization on the workbench before installing the carbs? Have you confirmed the correct fuel level in both carbs using the clear tube method.

The rubber going from the airbox to one of the carbs was torn so I superglued it as per Wookie. He wasnt the only one who told me to do this. An oldtimer in the neighborhood who just went off for the holiday told me superglue works well on THAT side of the carbs.

Im pretty sure the carbs are fully inside the boots and the boots on the engine side are indeed soft, with no cracks.

Would the throttle cable being too tight mimic high idle/lean symptoms? Its the only thing I can think of that I may have done wrong because I had to fiddle with the throttle cables a LOT to get them in the push/pull thingy on the carbs.

I started the bike, it started RACING like crazy, and in about 1 minute the pipes got really red. So i turned it off. Oldtimer from the neighborhood said maybe the throttle cable is too tight and holding the Butterly (?) open and causing this?

I have to take another look at the vacuum port on the brake side carb to see if its capped off. Prior to the rebuild this NEVER happened!
Last edit: 02 Sep 2022 15:45 by ShaneDude.

More
02 Sep 2022 15:50 #873260 by Nessism
When it doubt, check the factory service manual...

www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/K...l%20KZ750%20Twin.pdf

Page 13 shows how to adjust the throttle cables.

BTW, air leaks on the airbox side carb boots will mess up the idle, but not cause out of control engine racing.  I personally would never superglue a carb boot, but that's just me, because it won't hold up long term.

More
02 Sep 2022 15:53 - 02 Sep 2022 16:00 #873261 by ShaneDude
I have 2 into 1 exhaust. The person who helped rebuild my carbs noticed the needle was notched at 4, which was fine for years. He said he notched it back to spec, and they are now clipped to notch # 3 and mixture screws are 1.5 turns out. What surprised me is, when the engine was racing, turning down the idle did NOTHING!

Nessim thanks for the manual. I printed it out and will adjust the cable tomorrow. I hope and pray thats what the high idle is all about.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2022 16:00 by ShaneDude.

More
02 Sep 2022 16:00 #873262 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Red Hot Pipes and Carbs - Push Pull Cables

When it doubt, check the factory service manual...

www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/K...l%20KZ750%20Twin.pdf

Page 13 shows how to adjust the throttle cables.

BTW, air leaks on the airbox side carb boots will mess up the idle, but not cause out of control engine racing.  I personally would never superglue a carb boot, but that's just me, because it won't hold up long term.
I don't disagree that it's not an ideal solution for a "forever repair" but if you make a decent job of it and are on a tight budget it will get you out of a hole.
Shanedude just out of interest did the repair hold when it was revving at 6000rpm ?