Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 10 Sep 2020 10:55 #834751

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

loudhvx wrote: Some places were still selling mercury as available, but it doesn't last long.

Plus it's fairly expensive. Ed

www.laballey.com/products/mercury-metal-...KEAQYAyABEgKVqvD_BwE
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 650ed.

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 10 Sep 2020 11:29 #834753

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
The cheap set I had (which is the same as one of the sets pictured above) had adjustment screws and the gauges could be calibrated so that they read the same (a pain in the ass). Whether they're accurate or not is of little consequence for syncing carbs as you're only trying to get them read the same, not to an absolute number. Not an ideal choice but a useful low budget option (but personally, I'd stay away :) )

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 10 Sep 2020 11:41 #834754

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 351
I've used an 8' section of clear tubing in a u-bend and some water.
I let the twin cylinder play tug of war with the water column. It's very touchy with the pulsations and no restrictors but it will do in a pinch.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 10 Sep 2020 13:12 #834763

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I'm sure I've posted this before, but here's one for a 4-cylinder using water that is self-priming and won't suck water into the engine.

It must be super heavy plastic or glass. Thin plastic will collapse instantly.

The only issue is that it will be touchy. Water is much lighter than mercury. So if you get the water to stay in all four bottles, you will probably close enough to a really good sync, even if the water levels are not exactly the same.

I haven't built it , but it shouldn't be too hard to get the parts from a science supplier.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 10 Sep 2020 14:47 #834769

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
The "on a budget" is the limiting factor here. I bought a Carbtune for a bit over $100.00 and it works relatively well, but when I saw the Bohme Gauges that Scirocco has I knew I had to get those. They are expensive, but they work great. You can calibrate the gauges individually which is well worth the price of admission. I had to go through a place in England to get the ones I have, but I am more than happy with them.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Last edit: by Rick H..

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 13 Sep 2020 04:53 #834908

• vinchill@rcn.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a set like this and the Gauges are fine tunable and the vacuum control allows for very accurate adjustment. I do not know about this web site but the price is sure right
www.wish.com/product/5e37e54db082622afc6...true&share=mobileweb

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 13 Sep 2020 08:32 #834915

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI like a vacuum only gauges. Most the cheap gauge setups use gauges that read pressure and vacuum.
For compactness, simplicity, and cheap, I am considering making a setup with only one gauge and a manifold you can quickly switch between all the carbs.
An advantage is I won't have to sync the gauges before syncing the carbs. Disadvantage is only seeing one carb at a time.

94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 13 Sep 2020 08:46 #834916

• Zeerx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
I’ve had this mercury carbstix unit for 30+ years. Still works great.
‘99 ZRX1100, ‘05 DRZ400S, ‘78 KZ1000LTD, ‘12 F150 (Ford)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rimm

Last edit: by Zeerx.

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 13 Sep 2020 12:10 #834919

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

ckahleer wrote: I like a vacuum only gauges. Most the cheap gauge setups use gauges that read pressure and vacuum.
For compactness, simplicity, and cheap, I am considering making a setup with only one gauge and a manifold you can quickly switch between all the carbs.
An advantage is I won't have to sync the gauges before syncing the carbs. Disadvantage is only seeing one carb at a time.

I suspect you will find this to be a very frustrating way to do it. Suppose you are trying to balance carbs one and two. You see that carb one is reading 20. You switch to carb two, and adjust the screw until it reads 20. If you flip back to number one, there is a really good chance (at least 98.9%) that number one no longer reads 20. When you adjust one, you affect the others.
Then when you check those against number three (it is often the reference carb and is non-adjustable) it will read something else. After going back and forth about 47 times, you will now face the hateful number four, which will change the others.
By the time you are done, you will have no doubt whatsoever how ax murderers come to be.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Scirocco, Warren3200gt

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 13 Sep 2020 12:40 #834922

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

TexasKZ wrote: I suspect you will find this to be a very frustrating way to do it.
Your probably right. I just want to get away from this Motion-Pro thing I have. If you don't use it for awhile the fluid drys up. It is difficult to refill. It always needs to be calibrated before use.
Maybe I'll order 4 dial gauges and rob the hoses and fittings off the Motion-Pro thing

94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 13 Sep 2020 12:46 #834924

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
I have seen a lot of complaints about the MP tool.

It seems like the only real choices these days are really inexpensive homemade tools of varying accuracy, cheap useless ones like you have, and the $100+ high quality stuff.

Best carb synch tool on a budget please? 13 Sep 2020 12:51 #834925

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member

loudhvx wrote: I'm sure I've posted this before, but here's one for a 4-cylinder using water that is self-priming and won't suck water into the engine.

It must be super heavy plastic or glass. Thin plastic will collapse instantly.

The only issue is that it will be touchy. Water is much lighter than mercury. So if you get the water to stay in all four bottles, you will probably close enough to a really good sync, even if the water levels are not exactly the same.

I haven't built it , but it shouldn't be too hard to get the parts from a science supplier.

I think two stroke oil or leftover fork oil are better choices than water. They are easier to see and a bit less watery.