Choke Enrichment not working.

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2020 05:55 #828831 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Choke Enrichment not working.

hardrockminer wrote: That's one of the ugliest seats I've ever seen! Maybe the bike is embarrassed to start. Try taking the seat off and I'm sure everything will be good.

I half expected this. I had seen your comment on a seat in the past. I know it’s made tongue in cheek and no offense taken. I have to say my butt likes it more than you do. Would this one be better.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2020 06:07 #828834 by Mikaw

Warren3200gt wrote:

hardrockminer wrote: That's one of the ugliest seats I've ever seen! Maybe the bike is embarrassed to start. Try taking the seat off and I'm sure everything will be good.

:laugh: kick a man when he's down hardrockminer.
Mikaw, remember we don't know anything of your bikes history and can only comment on what we see in the pictures you post.
At best giving clues and pointers is all we can do not having your bike in front of us to view and explore or the benefit of knowing everything that has been done to it over its life. That's why fault diagnosis over the internet requires many question and answers, many of which could lead everyone in the wrong direction entirely or even prove ultimately totally fruitless. Yet still we try to help fellow z'ers.

I completely understand you don’t know my bike nor my abilities and you are correct in examining photos in detail. I have helped fellow members fix issues they thought were one thing and turned out to be something completely different because we notices a hose connected to the wrong port or a carb rack with the wrong carb in the wrong place. I’m not offended. I have picked apart photos myself.

Let’s start over. I have a choke enrichment circuit not working. What details, information and background does this forum need to help me fix my problem?

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
24 Jun 2020 06:33 - 24 Jun 2020 06:34 #828837 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Choke Enrichment not working.
Can you show us a video of your running engine with the choke leveler/plungers in different positions?
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 06:34 by Scirocco.

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2020 06:50 #828839 by Mikaw

Scirocco wrote: Can you show us a video of your running engine with the choke leveler/plungers in different positions?

I’d love to. But I’m an old school guy used to Nextel and blackberry technology. Help me learn and I can post the requested items.

I can tell you the choke needs to be in the full on position to aid in starting. Once it has started my normal process would be to quickly push the choke lever down to get a firm cold running rpm to allow warm up. Currently once the bike starts the position of the choke lever has zero effect on rpm. Like it’s not functional at all. The only way to keep the bike running until warm is to twist and hold the throttle to achieve a 1500 to 2000 rpm to allow warm up. One thing I have noticed is while holding the throttle I can raise and lower the choke lever without any effect in rpm until I go full on choke then it will stall the engine even as I continue to hold a consistent throttle position.

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

More
24 Jun 2020 08:24 #828847 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Choke Enrichment not working.

Mikaw wrote: Let’s start over. I have a choke enrichment circuit not working. What details, information and background does this forum need to help me fix my problem?

Enricher circuit is very simple. As long as the pick up hole in the bowl is clear and the plungers lift without air leaks at the top they will work. When the plungers are up a port to the throat is opened, the vacuum from the cylinder sucks fuel up the pick up and it gets sucked directly into the throat. Simple.
You have confirmed the lever operates the lifters and the plungers are lifting and closing correctly. You said you have used new o rings at the top ( from a kit) .
One thing you have not said is the pick up hole is clear.
I would also ensure the o rings are the correct size and are sealing. Small thing but crucial for correct operation.
If all the above is correctly working they will work.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2020 08:50 #828849 by Mikaw

Warren3200gt wrote:

Mikaw wrote: Let’s start over. I have a choke enrichment circuit not working. What details, information and background does this forum need to help me fix my problem?

Enricher circuit is very simple. As long as the pick up hole in the bowl is clear and the plungers lift without air leaks at the top they will work. When the plungers are up a port to the throat is opened, the vacuum from the cylinder sucks fuel up the pick up and it gets sucked directly into the throat. Simple.
You have confirmed the lever operates the lifters and the plungers are lifting and closing correctly. You said you have used new o rings at the top ( from a kit) .
One thing you have not said is the pick up hole is clear.
I would also ensure the o rings are the correct size and are sealing. Small thing but crucial for correct operation.
If all the above is correctly working they will work.

Thanks, all of this I understand. I posted pictures asking for help identifying the choke enrichment components. I know the passage way were clean at rebuild. I will guess I have between 600 to 800 miles Sense rebuild. The baffling thing is the system just suddenly stopped working. Is it plausible that all o rings failed and all bowl jets for circuit plugged at the same time? This is why I asked for help first, possible a member has been thru this before, and can direct me. I have no issue pulling carbs to diagnose but was hoping that was after all other items were eliminated.

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

More
24 Jun 2020 09:20 #828853 by Warren3200gt
You correctly identified the enricher components in your first post. It is unlikey all pick ups would have blocked simutaneously likewise all the o rings failing simutaneously.
You seem confident that all the enricher components are working correctly.
Therefore, by process of elimination your issue is not the enricher system but somewhere else.
That said i still suspect the o rings are the wrong size and or material as I said in my first post. Thinking left field if they are made of soft compressable material then possibly they sealed originally but have shrunk from compression and fuel vapour. Grasping straws here!

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2020 09:34 #828856 by Mikaw
Warren3200gt,

Thank you for thinking outside the box. Taking the consept further, is it possible for the enriching circuit to effect the engines characteristics if one of the carb circuits are working. Asking do all four need to function or can the enrichment circuit affect the engine from one carburetor, or two carburetors. Not sure I’m expressing the question properly.

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

More
24 Jun 2020 09:41 - 24 Jun 2020 09:45 #828857 by Warren3200gt
the more carbs affected the harder to start. when it does actually start does it start on all four or just 3 or even 2then the others cut in as it warms?

Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 09:45 by Warren3200gt.

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2020 09:56 #828861 by Mikaw
I guess that was a dumb question. If one carb with a working choke circuit was enough then we would only have one. Must be that KHI determined 4 were needed. Thus the casting and machining to create four.

I guess I was trying to figure out how many had failed. If all have failed simultaneously then the stars have aligned backwards on me.

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
24 Jun 2020 11:53 #828884 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Choke Enrichment not working.
The choke or enricher circuit on these kind of carbs are bullet proof and simple in function.
If the plunger mechanic works the only possible issue is the fuel support in the bowl ports or the brass up tube is clogged, my 2 Cents....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

• Mikaw
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2020 12:42 #828891 by Mikaw
Then it sounds like my only option is to first pull the bowls and inspect the starter jet in the bowl for obstruction. If that checks out I should be able to blow shop air into the starter mixture passage, at the carb opening and see if I have air existing the brass starter pipe. Appears it’s going to take some deep investigation. Ugh!

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.