Carb cleaning on bike

More
22 Jun 2020 17:12 #828698 by fuzz0912
Replied by fuzz0912 on topic Carb cleaning on bike
Awesome thanks. But why is gas still getting to the carbs when the bike is not running?? I've rebuilt the petcock new diaphragm and gaskets but old spring.. i thought these vacuum style petcocks stop gas flow when the engine is off. Am I missing something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2020 17:43 #828699 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Carb cleaning on bike
Did you polish the seat in the petcock that the small o ring seats against? Did you polish the face of the lever where it rubs against the big o ring? If those surfaces are corroded or pitted, it will still leak. You are not leaving the lever set to PRI are you?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
22 Jun 2020 21:21 #828707 by fuzz0912
I did clean it out the best I could before putting it back together. Not really a mirror finish but it is clean. And the lever is set to on

More
25 Jun 2020 09:27 #828959 by fuzz0912
So I got a petcock rebuild kit the other day so that's fixed. Now on to the carb rebuild. From what I've read some of the kits can have parts that are just a little off from OEM specs. Granted I'm going to do all 4 carbs I can get a 4 pack rebuild kit for 35-40$ on ebay. That being said I'm kinda skeptical about everything fitting from what some people have said. If I have to ill go to z1 but that's paying a premium per carb. Is there any good kits out there you can get cheap. I'm doing this bike on a budget so cheaper is better but I want it done right.

More
25 Jun 2020 11:32 #828969 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carb cleaning on bike
I've read of folks "rebuilding" their carbs only to have the carbs running worse instead of better. My 1977 KZ650 carbs have more than 61,000 miles on them and they have never been and do not need to be rebuilt. The metal parts on them have zero wear. So here's what I suggest - before spending a dime on parts take a really good look at the carb internals. If you do not find any wear why replace perfectly good, OEM parts with parts of unknown (maybe bad) quality? If you find the existing metal parts are fine I suggest you simply replace and dubious gaskets and leave the original metal parts in place. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Jun 2020 14:17 - 25 Jun 2020 14:17 #828988 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Carb cleaning on bike
"Cheaper is better" and "done right" are not always possible together. The best kits are made by Keyster. They can be expensive but they are top quality, made in Japan. If you want some made in China crap then go cheap and take your chances. I wouldn't.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2020 14:17 by hardrockminer.