• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 16 May 2020 04:50 #825833

• Ramsey38
  • Ramsey38's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey guys,

KZ 440 newb here. I got the bike (80 KZ 440) last week and have been slaving away. Last owner had no idea what was wrong. Turns out it Had a bad starter, which I successfully rebuilt (first rebuild ever!) And now the bike cranks over and fires up with starter fluid.

I battles to get the carbs reinstalled tonight and was sadly unable to start the bike. I must admit I've not had a bike quite this old, so I'm hoping I'm not messing something up in the start procedure. The tank has three settings, Res, Pri, and ON, which I find a bit confusing. When I set the fuel to the PRI position gas just dumps right out the bottom of both the carbs drain hoses... Should that be happening? Wondering if the carbs have an issue.

I'm really thinking about getting an 11th Hour Industries 2 to 1 intake manifold to covert to a single Makuni 34 carb. I like simple things and these carbs seem like they have potential to give me a lot of trouble. Anyone have that setup? Any advice on what to do next?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 16 May 2020 05:22 #825838

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
When you start the bike you should be on PRI. This allows the carbs to develop vacuum pressure and at this point if the bike is running you can switch to ON. Use RES (reserve) if you run the main tank dry.

It sounds like the floats in the carb bowls are either stuck or are set too high. You will need to find a repair manual and pull them off the bike to inspect and clean. The manual should tell you how to check/set your floats.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 16 May 2020 06:27 #825844

• Boardbandit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
If the bike has been sitting any length of time, you will need to clean the carburetors. The carbs on the 440 are fairly simple. You most likely have a float needle that is not sealing well against the needle seat. When you put the petcock on Prime, the fuel is designed to flow directly from the tank, uninterrupted. If there is nothing stopping it (like the float needles) it will overflow the carburetors, which is what is happening.
The prime position is intended to be used only to fill the carbs. When the petcock is in the On or Reserve position, the bike needs to be running or at least turning over for fuel to flow. A running bike creates vacuum and there is a vacuum line running from the carbs to the petcock. This vacuum turns the petcock on by opening a small valve. If you tried to fill the carbs with the petcock in the On position, it would need to turn over for a long time in order to fill the carbs. The Prime setting is a shortcut and fills them quickly.
There is another possible thing that might be going on: the overflow tubes inside the carbs might have a crack in them causing them to dump fuel before they are actually too full. I have seen it happen on older bikes. They can be closed with solder. Do not try to put any type of glue, sealant, or adhesive on them. It will not work.
The KZ440 is a nice little bike. They are reliable, simple to work on and the engine is pretty bulletproof. Download a manual. Read it. Understand it.
1984 ZN00

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 16 May 2020 06:41 #825845

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Here is a downloadable manual.
www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/kz440.pdf

In addition to what has already been said, you should be aware that all those cross head screws are JIS, not Phillps. They require a more blunt screwdriver tip. You can buy a set from Z1Enterprises and other tool supply companies. You can also modify Phillips screwdrivers if you would rather go that way.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 16 May 2020 14:06 #825874

• Ramsey38
  • User
Wow, awesome information guys. Yea they are definitely flooding so I will be pulling them again. Sadly they are a bit of a nightmare to get on and off because the rubber boots, while in somewhat decent shape as far as cracks go, are really stiff.

I am learning a lot with this bike so I will use this as a chance to learn carberators. The bike was sitting for some time due to a failed starter.

My only remaining question is regarding a Makuni single Carb conversion, which seems to be pretty straight forward. Anyone have any feedback on that? I was eye balling the 11th Hour Industries side exit 2-1 manifold.

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 16 May 2020 14:23 #825875

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
I don't know about the conversion, but I do know that there are KZ twins running all around the world with the stock carbs and running perfectly fine for millions of miles.

The problem with carbs is that people don't want to bite and bullet and do a proper rebuild the first time. They pop off the float bowl and spray some junk inside and claim they "rebuilt" the carbs. Alternate to that is purchasing some expensive "carb kits" and replacing some jets without properly cleaning the internal passages nor replacing the interconnect tube O-rings. And when done they shrug their shoulders and act like a victim when the bike doesn't run right?

Sorry to shame but if you fully break down the carbs, clean everything in carb dip, replace all the soft parts like O-rings, then there is an almost 100% chance that the bike will run right when you put it all back together. Short cuts are long cuts though so know that going in. Alternate to that is purchasing some expensive aftermarket carbs which may or may not run right.

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 16 May 2020 15:42 #825881

• Boardbandit
  • User
Carb boots can be revitalized soaking in a mixture of wintergreen oil and alcohol. Google it. I'm sure it's out there. It makes putting carbs back on a breeze! And they end up smelling wonderful.
1984 ZN00

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 16 May 2020 22:26 #825895

• Ramsey38
  • User
Thanks guys, no offense taken as far as the suggestions to rebuild the carbs. I don't care for short cuts either, I was hoping that the carbs would be in running shape though... The guy I bought this bike from claimed they had been properly drained before storage, appears that was BS! I'll pull the carbs tonight and go to work. Still thinking about a single Carb conversion but why not learn from this by rebuilding the originals. I'll post an update here soon.

Thanks for that suggestion on restoring the Carb boots, I was able to find new engine boots but the air box ones are kind of ruff. I am considering ditching the air box eventually but one question is what is the function of the hose that runs from the air box to the top of the engine block?

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 17 May 2020 05:00 #825899

• Boardbandit
  • User
That's a breather hose. Gases are recirculated back through the airbox.
1984 ZN00

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 17 May 2020 05:41 #825900

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
Switching to pod filters will force you to rejet the carbs extensively or the bike won't run right.

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 17 May 2020 07:18 #825909

• oldzed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
If the PO drained the carbs before storage, it would be worth checking he did not leave the drain screws open

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 17 May 2020 11:35 #825936

• Ramsey38
  • User
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm kind of stupid, the PO did leave the drain screws open as per the above suggestion, but breaking down the carbs revealed some stuck floats and other gunk. The good news? She runs! Took her for her first ride down the road in 18 years. The bad news is she doesn't run too great, carbs will need a rebuild, but that is OK! Gives me something to do! Here is a picture of the bike put all back together for the first time in nearly two decades. Thanks for all the help here!

As you guys can see in the pic, there is still a lot to do, the seat doesn't belong on the bike among other things, but she is a solid base to start on.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Ramsey38.
  • Page: