Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 17 May 2020 13:57 #825950

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Bike looks good, buckhorn bars excepted.:sick:

Be sure to get some new tires on that thing. Even if they have tread the rubber is of flintstone vintage and hard as a rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 440 Carb leaks? 03 Jun 2020 12:42 #827225

• gavroyer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
I know this is a bit old, but I found the secret to removing the carbs on the 440 LTD is the following:
  1. Remove the air cleaner, and unbolt the air box (both under the seat).
  2. Unbolt the tank. This is not strictly required, but being able to lift the tail of the tank makes accessing the fuel line and vacuum line much easier.
  3. Unplug the battery negative bullet connector (Will be un-covered, and be a black wire with yellow stripe on both ends)
  4. Unbolt the battery tray. Allow it to drop down and rearward. It is not necessary to remove the tray, unplug anything else, or remove the battery.

After these steps, there should be enough clearance for the airbox to slide back far enough an allow easy access to remove the carbs. It's still a bit of a tight fit between the airbox boots and the carb holders, but it can now be done. I find it easiest to remove the carbs to the left so as to avoid the oil pressure sensor.

Working with a cordless drill with 10mm socket or 5mm allen socket, I can pull the carbs on my 440 in about 10-15min this way. Don't forget to drain the float bowls before you start, or they may spill as you remove the carbs.

I believe those handlebars are stock units.
1980 KZ440-A1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by gavroyer.
  • Page: