Mikuni VM26 Carb Slide Adjustment

More
02 Oct 2019 09:22 #811619 by Rick H.
Mikuni VM26 Carb Slide Adjustment was created by Rick H.
I have been known to be a tad bit anal about measuring things in the past which is why I have multiple tools for accomplishing such tasks. How many 1" micrometers does a person really need? Well in my case three (3) to triple check important measurements. Anyway when I started the process of refurbishing my '77 KZ-1000 (I don't like to call it a restoration quite yet) I learned that I needed an accurate way of measuring the initial VM26 carb slide to bore gap which per the manual is .028". The manual states one can use a piece of wire for this, but I just couldn't come up with anything that was close to what I was looking for. After scouting around on the internet I discovered that a 22 gauge hypodermic needle is .028" in diameter. I located a 3.50" long spinal needle in 22 gauge which works great for this job. I also located a company on the east coast that makes .028" diameter tungsten carbide rods that are 6" long. These rods also works great for this job and I think cost me like $10.00 and came in a nice plastic storage tube.

Now I am sure many of you have your own self found measuring tools for accomplishing setting the slide to bore gap, but this is just two of the ways I have found of doing this. I am not sure how long the hypo needles will last, but the tungsten carbide rod will last a long time and you can even fabricate little handles on one end to help in their use. If you are interested in obtaining the rods just send me a PM and I will give you the ordering info. We now return you to your normal programming.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
02 Oct 2019 10:42 - 02 Oct 2019 10:43 #811623 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Mikuni VM26 Carb Slide Adjustment
Some 0,028" = 0,700 mm drill bits did the same effect for a static cab sync after a rebuild for a good starting point. You have to do a vaccum sync later on a runnig engine anyway, so some slides will get off the 0,028" reference adjustment.

draftcycleworks.blogspot.com/2015/04/car...ronizing-mikuni.html

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 10:43 by Scirocco.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Oct 2019 06:26 #811679 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Mikuni VM26 Carb Slide Adjustment
A piece of irrigation wire is all you need. They just have to be even.
Steve

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Oct 2019 14:25 #811707 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Mikuni VM26 Carb Slide Adjustment
I use copper picture wire from Home Depot. I think it's 22 gauge but can't recall. A roll will last a lifetime.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.