• Page:

TOPIC:

Kz550 idle/run issue 02 Aug 2019 16:07 #808619

• Ultralow
  • Ultralow's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, great fourm here.

I’ve recently picked up a 1981 kz550a in pretty good condition but hasn’t run in 10 years . Fuel system was very clean. Fixed various problems, bike ran pretty good with stock pipes and no air box . Installed a kerker and pods, tuned it with dynojet kit. Got it damn close first try but here’s the problem.
It will start and run on the kickstand but when the bike is stood up it’ll start to run lousy and drop cylinders. Back on kickstand or just lean bike in same direction- bike starts runs great and will happily ide smoothly there.
Sooooo I figured float height. Went 3mm either way on float height, no bueno. Same deal. Went into petcock and pulled the o ring and spring thinking maybe problem is there. Nope.

So now I’m stumped, any suggestions? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ultralow.

Kz550 idle/run issue 02 Aug 2019 16:27 #808620

• gavroyer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Check the factory service manual for the fuel level spec, and set the floats to that height. That should get you in the range for that.

What do the plugs look like? That will tell you a lot about whether the engine is rich or lean. Best to use new plugs, as they'll show the most accurate readings.

EDIT: I'd also double check that the throttle cable has a bit of play, with the bike on both the stand and stood upright. It could be that the throttle is being held open a bit if the cable is routed incorrectly, and that's what's causing it to run well leaned over while not running well upright.
1980 KZ440-A1 LTD

Last edit: by gavroyer.

Kz550 idle/run issue 03 Aug 2019 06:18 #808636

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
How much fuel is in the tank? If very little, was the petcock set to reserve?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Kz550 idle/run issue 03 Aug 2019 06:55 #808641

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That could be many things. Since you probably had the tank off, I would check the wires around the tank and frame there.

If its a fuel flow issue, did you add a filter? Some car filters wont flow enough with just gravity.

Kz550 idle/run issue 05 Aug 2019 08:09 #808745

• Ultralow
  • User
Ok so I pulled the tank and rechecked all electrical under there, everything looks good. Made up a alternate fuel supply and ran it without tank. Same issue. I also ran it out of gas while tilting and straightening the bike and the symptoms continued till it ran out of gas. Gonna use the clear hose method to look at float levels tonight. I’ll update here

Kz550 idle/run issue 06 Aug 2019 09:13 #808797

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
kickstand switch?
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Kz550 idle/run issue 08 Aug 2019 07:16 #808909

• Ultralow
  • User
Doesn’t have kickstand switch.

Kz550 idle/run issue 09 Aug 2019 13:24 #808963

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Most 550's don't have the sidestand switch. Some of the later ones do, but they don't affect the ignition, they only activate a warning light. The Zx550A has a sidestand switch which kills the motor through a diode circuit.

Kz550 idle/run issue 09 Aug 2019 15:10 #808972

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Only a low fuel level in the carb bowl cause the idle/run issue if the bike is on the sidestand. A sidestand switch failure would switch off the ignition immediately.

Kz550 idle/run issue 10 Aug 2019 06:39 #808981

• old_kaw
  • User

Scirocco wrote: Only a low fuel level in the carb bowl cause the idle/run issue if the bike is on the sidestand. A sidestand switch failure would switch off the ignition immediately.

Not necessarily. An intermittent electrical connection can cause some very erratic behavior. You are assuming a properly functioning system. I am envisioning some of the twisted together, greasy, smashed and otherwise neglected components that I deal with quite often.

Of course the fuel issue is the most likely cause, but I seem to remember a thread a while back that turned out to be a bad connection under the tank, on a bike that EVERYTHING checked out A-OK. :S
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Kz550 idle/run issue 10 Aug 2019 07:58 #808988

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
If the bike is in neutral, and the neutral switch is good, then the sidestand switch won't matter. Of course, the neutral switch could be flakey too.

Either way, it's not a feature on the 1981 Kz550A2, so it's not a consideration. It could still be electrical, but it won't be the neutral switch or a sidestand.

Kz550 idle/run issue 10 Aug 2019 09:35 #808990

• old_kaw
  • User

loudhvx wrote: If the bike is in neutral, and the neutral switch is good, then the sidestand switch won't matter. Of course, the neutral switch could be flakey too.

Either way, it's not a feature on the 1981 Kz550A2, so it's not a consideration. It could still be electrical, but it won't be the neutral switch or a sidestand.

And once again that would be the proper operation. Of course something is not operating properly in the absence of a side-stand switch, be it electrical or fuel related. or the OP would not be posting questions to the forum.

Whatdya think? .. my headlight is not working, and my oil light is not working.. What's wrong? :blink:

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.
  • Page: