Where is the "fuel well" on a carb?

• Robb2018
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
More
20 Jun 2019 06:32 #806145 by Robb2018
Where is the "fuel well" on a carb? was created by Robb2018
In discussions of carbs I often hear the term "fuel well" but never see it labeled on any carb diagrams. Could anyone explain to me the difference between the fuel well and the bowl?

KZ900; Z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2019 06:42 #806146 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Where is the "fuel well" on a carb?
I've never heard it called a "fuel well", but they are probably talking about the float bowl. It's basically the entire bottom section of the carb which gets filled with fuel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb2018

• Robb2018
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
More
20 Jun 2019 06:51 #806147 by Robb2018
Replied by Robb2018 on topic Where is the "fuel well" on a carb?
The discussion was in a forum I'm not a member of, explaining why incorrect float settings can cause an over rich situation.

"Air velocity past a pickup point in the venturi area causes a negative pressure in the fuel well. Atmospheric pressure in the bowl (the bowl is open to the atmosphere via the bowl vent) pushes fuel from the fuel well through the pickup into the venturi area. With the engine off, fuel in the fuel well will be at the same level as the fuel in the bowl. The level of fuel will alter the amount of negative pressure necessary to cause the fuel to flow."

Could he be referring to the area in the pickup tube above the main jet?

KZ900; Z1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jun 2019 07:27 #806149 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Where is the "fuel well" on a carb?
The pilot jet is higher than the main jet. It is enclosed in a "well" for lack of a better name and must be submerged in fuel to operate. Too high a level will cause a overly rich condition. Another "well" is for the "choke" enrichment circuit. Some are open at the bottom of the bowl where others have a metering jet to limit fuel. Both are influenced by the level of the fuel.
Steve

More
20 Jun 2019 07:43 #806150 by loudhvx
Yes, in that context, I think he means the area inside the emulsifier tube, or a part sometimes generically called the jet holder (but simply holding the jet is not the main purpose of the jet holder). That volume does equalize to bowl fuel level when the engine is shut off, and will be at a lower pressure than the bowl when running and the fuel will be at a lower level in addition to being turbulent with air mixed in.

I just generically referred to it as the "path" but I guess it is a "fuel well" for the main metering needle and needle jet.

On this graphic for the Tk22 you can see the static fuel level would be about in the middle of the emulsifier tube (aka jet holder). When running, air will bubble through there turbulently and the fuel level will reduce when the main circuit is on operation, so the fuel level inside will be much lower. There will be so much turbulence, I'm not sure you could really say where the level is exactly, but it will not be sitting at the same level as the static level.

Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2019 07:49 #806152 by loudhvx
Steve's reply also suggests a possible use of the word "well". Some bowls have a depression at the bottom where the jets will fit into.

I think from the context, though, the discussion was about the fuel path between the main jet and the carb throat.