Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 15:48 #802877

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
The ZX would be a sight next to ol' Shaftie, packed in my single-stall garage with my son's Yamaha, and the wife's Honda (CR-V) parked in the driveway.

:laugh:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 16:35 #802879

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627
Time to build a bike port?
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 17:29 #802881

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
Beware these had Crankshaft thrust issues Mine is a 14,000 mile survivor and crank was done for Common I replaced many under Warranty when I was a Kawasaki Tech & even then I talked most owners to have Replacement sent out for needle thrust installed and trued & welded. unless you have proof replacement crank has been done you more than likely will need to replace it now if its bad you may but unlikely repair it but most time its to far gone and good luck finding a good core to do I have 1 NOS Crankshaft left in my inventor and they are long been discontinued. just an FYI and Dave I did reply to your PM mine is for sale and super nice but it is up to you if you want to chance, give Larry Cavanaugh a shout he will tell about replacing them under warranty.
1984 750 Turbo

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 18:17 #802885

• daveo
  • Premium Member

DFIGPZ wrote: Beware these had Crankshaft thrust issues Mine is a 14,000 mile survivor and crank was done for Common I replaced many under Warranty when I was a Kawasaki Tech & even then I talked most owners to have Replacement sent out for needle thrust installed and trued & welded. unless you have proof replacement crank has been done you more than likely will need to replace it now if its bad you may but unlikely repair it but most time its to far gone and good luck finding a good core to do I have 1 NOS Crankshaft left in my inventor and they are long been discontinued. just an FYI and Dave I did reply to your PM mine is for sale and super nice but it is up to you if you want to chance, give Larry Cavanaugh a shout he will tell about replacing them under warranty.

Excellent advice!

I will be certain to inquire about the crank. :ohmy:
The pic I took of the right side of the motor:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 27 Apr 2019 03:20 #802891

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
That old girls in pretty good shape for her age . I would scoop that up if the price was right . My turbos have pretty much that same injection system . Pretty simple to get them up and running after sitting . Clean out tank and get the pump going they usually fire right up . Ive started bikes that havent run in 20 years and had them run fine . Ive started others that had a stuck injector and needed them cleaned . You can clean them yourself or send them out to RC injector in cali . They do all 4- flo check and clean for like $125.00 . How long has it been sitting ? Looks like its all there . Hard to find theses days . My friend had one brand new . They did the crank thing on his too . That thing was a beast . Pretty much one of the fastest bikes back then .
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 27 Apr 2019 07:01 #802897

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Was told it has sat most of ten years since being ridden 1500 miles between 2007 and 2009. Since then it's been stored inside a house and brought out to start annually.
The engine has synthetic Amsoil in the crankcase, and basically it does run.

Assuming that the crank was serviced under warranty as highly-suggested...it needs: clutch, brakes, battery, shock/fork service, tires, fuel petcock, paint-surface rust on header pipes, minor fairing repair (under front of windscreen), fresh paint-graphics, seat cover, and a really good bath.

Considering that this bike may be a decent barn find, what would be a "good price" to buy it for?

:whistle:
1982 KZ1100-A2

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 27 Apr 2019 09:06 #802902

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
Not really sure what its worth . Hard to even find one theses days to even compare it too . You really never see them around any more . The good thing about that one is nobody has messed with it . Even has stock exhaust still . Those mufflers are almost impossible to find . Guys go crazy looking for them on the turbo site .It also still has the original rear fender . Another thing impossible to find . I know because its the same one on the turbo .Everybody cut them up back in the 80s .The clutch might slip with that synthetic oil . Most recommend mineral oil . It looks like a bike you could do the maintenance on and just ride it . Sometimes I think a little patina looks better than a freshly painted bike . They are only original once .

How much does he want ?
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 27 Apr 2019 11:57 #802905

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Would $3,500 be too much?
1982 KZ1100-A2

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 27 Apr 2019 12:39 #802907

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1900
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

daveo wrote:
Would $3,500 be too much?

I would say yes.
I missed a first owner GPZ 1100 UT in pristine condition with less than 10000 miles for 2700 Euro (3000 Dollar) on ebay.

Attachments:

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 27 Apr 2019 13:43 #802909

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627
Did he up the price?
Steve

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 27 Apr 2019 13:51 #802910

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
Yes that seems steep to me . You will probably have another 500- 1000 plus your labor before it s even ready to ride . Maybe less but tires alone will be 300-350 depending on what you get . For 3500 I would want a running riding bike although prices on old vintage bikes are up there these days .

Guess it depends on how much you want it .
Did look up prices on the net this is one site www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1983/Kawa.../ZX1100A1-GPZ/Values

Just for comparison heres what they say a turbos worth www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1984/Kawa...ZX750E1-TURBO/Values

So guess you have to pick what you collect very carefully .
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Last edit: by riturbo.

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 27 Apr 2019 13:52 #802911

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

daveo wrote: Would $3,500 be too much?

IMHO $3500 is too much for a rough bike, although it is rare and mostly still intact. Does it actually RUN,? (not basically)

In this area, I have seen some pretty nice Kz1000's on CL for ~2500 bucks, and they were advertised for a long time. Every time I try to sell a bike, unless it's something like my 81 Kz1000M1, the lowballers swarm on it.

I just did a search on the STL CL and this popped. Although it is a 2000 ZRX1100 water cooled with 14K original miles. It has new michelin tires and a few mods, that may or may not be a good thing.

Here is some leverage..

stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/d/saint-louis...saki/6855088591.html

I would offer $1K and see how they act. April is prime bike selling time here in the lou, but may be different where you live.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw.