Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 24 Apr 2019 08:00 #802743

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 630
I'm considering purchasing an 83 ZX1100A1 (GPZ) with the DFI reportedly in working condition, and wish to maintain use of it with today's regular E10 ethanol blend gasoline.

All member concerns or suggestions regarding that will be greatly appreciated.

:)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 24 Apr 2019 08:37 #802745

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Should work. Plenty of 80's cars still on the road.
Pics? :woohoo:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 24 Apr 2019 08:57 #802746

• daveo
  • Premium Member
I'm excited! If she checks out I'll post pics in a day or two.

Otherwise :(

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 24 Apr 2019 10:25 #802751

• fourbrrl
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
That system was a bosch utilizing the VAF meter. fuel delivery was "tuneable" using VAF spring tension ;)
I have ALWAYS WANTED an LTD with EFI and shaft !!
PICS PLEASE !!
Attachments:

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 24 Apr 2019 18:59 #802784

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
83/84 GPZ1100 was not that style system no issues with today's fuel most people ditch DFI I think they are foolish for doing so I get them to work fine BTW I have mine For Sale if someone looking for one done ready to ride.
1984 750 Turbo

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 25 Apr 2019 21:13 #802829

• daveo
  • Premium Member

SWest wrote: Should work. Plenty of 80's cars still on the road.
Steve

Haven't pulled the trigger yet. The bike is a bit rough and needs a lot done to make it roadworthy and safe to ride. I'm hesitant to take on a new/used time and money consuming endeavor.

Still might though... :unsure:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 09:56 #802854

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

daveo wrote:

SWest wrote: Should work. Plenty of 80's cars still on the road.
Steve

Haven't pulled the trigger yet. The bike is a bit rough and needs a lot done to make it roadworthy and safe to ride. I'm hesitant to take on a new/used time and money consuming endeavor.

Still might though... :unsure:

Oh hell yes Dave! Especially if the price is affordable. Extra points for a title and keys, although not a deal breaker. IMO That looks to be totally stock survivor, which I would tend to try to keep mostly stock, except in pristine running condition. You already have a red hot rod. :-)

From the safety standpoint, maybe tires and make sure the brakes will stop the bike. Most other things are oil and fluid changes and regular maintenance items. Any fuel related issues can be dealt with. The Bosch fuel injection and was the basis / basics behind the early 80's EFI's and it pioneered a lot of the EFI technology that is still in use today. My turbo Buick had Bosch fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, connectors etc.. as did my Peugeot 505, which BTW, the entire Peugeot system was made by Bosch. Tons of info and parts available for this setup, not just Kawasaki info.

Like DFIGPZ, i would never do a carb conversion on something like this. I make stuff like this work.

The gas tank is probably contaminated with varnish, and the fuel pump not working. (just a WAG) Laquer thinner will dissolve the varnish and fuel pumps are available for under 100 bucks.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 10:11 #802855

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I'd get it if money wasn't an issue.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, old_kaw

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 11:16 #802861

• old_kaw
  • User

SWest wrote: I'd get it if money wasn't an issue.
Steve

You know money is not an issue for daveo. LOL

Now back to the real world.. Check out the Wikipedia article on the GPZ, it has a picture of a slightly cobbled up red 82 GPZ with pod air filters and a carb conversion. Not the best example of this bike I've seen. You should edit the article and add the pics you just posted Dave.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_GPZ1100
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 12:17 #802864

• daveo
  • Premium Member

old_kaw wrote:

SWest wrote: I'd get it if money wasn't an issue.
Steve

You know money is not an issue for daveo. LOL

Now back to the real world.. Check out the Wikipedia article on the GPZ, it has a picture of a slightly cobbled up red 82 GPZ with pod air filters and a carb conversion. Not the best example of this bike I've seen. You should edit the article and add the pics you just posted Dave.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_GPZ1100

My phone camera makes things look ten X better than they are. :blush:

But money an issue it always has been, and so will it continue to be. As long as my engines run good as they can, then I will be a joyful and happy old man.

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, old_kaw

Last edit: by daveo.

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 14:59 #802873

• old_kaw
  • User

daveo wrote:

old_kaw wrote: You know money is not an issue for daveo. LOL

My phone camera makes things look ten X better than they are. :blush:

But money an issue it always has been, and so will it continue to be. As long as my engines run good as they can, then I will be a joyful and happy old man.

I completely understand the money thing dave. Money is why I haven't fixed my oil leak. I have almost all of the required parts / gaskets / sealers/ but the 170 bucks for ape studs / nuts is a small stumbling block. Taxes and bike plate renewal this month rates higher than ape studs. Then.. my truck, home, utilities blah blah blah. :pinch: I almost ordered them yesterday, but a loan payment popped up out of nowhere. Who thunk it? :woohoo:

This just cost me ~$250.00 last week, so once again, the studs are on hold.

That camera must do a really good job, because that bike looks great in the pics, compared to a few I have drug home. At the very least it is un-cobbled ( new word?) so far.
This was a few days ago. it is not a good pic, because the bike was in the shade.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.

80's Kawasaki Fuel Injection Systems and E10 (Ethanol) Regular Gasoline 26 Apr 2019 15:34 #802875

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yeah it cost me a little over $100 with shipping but it was well worth it. Getting ready to go back into the top end again. One less thing to buy.
Next will be the lower end studs. B)
Steve
www.z1enterprises.com/ape-12-piece-hd-cylinder-studs.html
www.z1enterprises.com/24-piece-ape-hd-main-bearing-studs.html