Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue

More
04 Apr 2019 05:47 #801493 by Pagala
I was wondering, is there a way to bench synchronise a set of TK26 carbs (i.e. get them roughly right with the carbs off the bike)?
I need a rough sync before I can do a proper one, as I can't get the project bike to idle at all at the moment (rebuild error probably).

Any particular method or things to watch out for? I don't think the ball bearing trick would work as there is a lip on the carb on the air intake side.
Do you think I could get away with using a feeler gauge for this? And any particular settings for the idle screw while this is done?

Thanks in advance

1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
1981 Kawasaki Z440 (KZ440C1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Apr 2019 05:58 #801494 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
A thin piece of phone wire makes a good gauge. Set them all using that. Start with the one carb that's not adjustable except by the idle adjustment screw then set the rest the same. Leaky carb holders will give a unstable idle.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pagala

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
04 Apr 2019 06:11 #801495 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
We use a small straightened paper clip to bench sync sometimes.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
04 Apr 2019 09:40 #801514 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
I use a piece of 20 gauge copper wire. It measures within the stated spec. You can buy it at Home Depot in the picture frame wire section. It's sometimes called artists wire.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Pagala

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
05 Apr 2019 06:30 #801570 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue

hardrockminer wrote: I use a piece of 20 gauge copper wire. It measures within the stated spec. You can buy it at Home Depot in the picture frame wire section. It's sometimes called artists wire.

TRhat's a very good idea. Much less chance of nicking the bottom of a slide or idle orifice.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
05 Apr 2019 07:09 - 05 Apr 2019 07:15 #801575 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
I do them by eye with light shining through, when they are even you can adjust them all at once to spec with the idle screw.
The real tell is when you install them and set the true idle

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 07:15 by bluej58.

More
05 Apr 2019 10:59 #801586 by shrap66
Replied by shrap66 on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
+2 on the phone wire. You pick 1 of the 6 strands and its close to specs.

Stick the wire in the carb opening and close the slide on it.

Then adjust the idle adjustment screw on top until you are barely able to move the wire freely. It should rub on the slide bottom.

Repeat for all the carbs.

This will get you close enough to be able to start the bike and get to idle and then do a decent sync with a sync tool.

1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Pagala

More
05 Apr 2019 11:16 - 05 Apr 2019 11:17 #801587 by Pagala
Replied by Pagala on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
Thanks for all the helpful replies chaps. Really useful stuff. I got myself a suitable bit of straight wire, and did them all. No problem at all. Not as precise as ball bearings, but surely close enough.

Anyway, that wasn't the end of my troubles LOL.
The bike runs (the engine is good) but it still won't idle, and I think I know why. I took off the carbs again and had another look at the pilot jets. They are completely stopped up. You can't see any light through them. All I had done to them was blast them in STP carb cleaner and then boil them in vinegar (this usually does the trick for me), and then I'd put them back in. Mistake. I should have stared down them, because if I had done, I would have seen them completely bunged up.

Bits of wire won't unblock them (I've tried) and I don't have a drill bit small enough to drill them out. I tried looking them up online (they're TK26 #32) but they don't seem to be available to buy anymore. I tried hitting them with a butane torch but that didn't work either. Any ideas? Looks like 5 years' worth of rock-solid varnish have turned these pilot jets into simple stoppers/plugs.

1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 11:17 by Pagala.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Apr 2019 11:20 #801588 by SWest

More
05 Apr 2019 12:41 - 05 Apr 2019 12:44 #801590 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
Here's a site about TK26 jets. This link has a link to where to get jets. Hopefully they still have them.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK26mainPage/TK26jets/TK26jets.html

Here's a link to the TK26 site.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK26mainPage/TK26mainPage.html#home

There are a few tools you should prepare before syncing the carbs on the bike. The site shows them in the maintenance link.
It also shows how to repair a stripped sync linkage, which is aluminum with fine threads, so they strip easy.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 12:44 by loudhvx.

More
05 Apr 2019 12:50 #801592 by Pagala
Replied by Pagala on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
Thanks! These were really stubborn ones. I don't play the guitar so I tried resistors (from an electronics kit) instead. Didn't work - they kept bending. I ended up heating them to orange-hot over the stove, then quenching them. Desperate times, desperate measures, etc. This seems to have done the trick - I can see a hole letting in an equal amount of light through all of them now. I'll try fitting them and seeing if I can finally get the bike to idle with the choke off tomorrow when it's light.

One more question please, if you don't mind. The underside of all 4 of my TK26 carbs has 3 brass passages. 2 of these are holders for the jets, and you screw the pilot jet and the main jet into these. The third is a bit of a mystery - I can't see where it leads or what it does. My Haynes manual calls this passage a "secondary main jet - early type/main jet - late type", which would suggest that it isn't necessary. However, this website shows this hole stopped up and calls the stopper a "pilot plug":
gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.co...ge/TK26mainPage.html

I'm just wondering whether the absence of any kind of stopper there on the TK26 carbs on my bike might also affect the pressures and velocities of fuel going up through the pilot jets. I don't see how it could, but it's bizarre that that website calls it a pilot plug. Any ideas?

More
05 Apr 2019 13:00 - 05 Apr 2019 19:58 #801593 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bike won't idle - suspected carb issue
Please read the main page. It explains which have the plug and which others don't.

If you post your exact year and model with the letter-number designation in your signature, then I could assess whether or not your model should have the plug and intermediate jet.

Guitar strings are way stiffer than copper wire. Guitar shops will usually sell you one string at a time if needed.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 19:58 by loudhvx.