• Page:

TOPIC:

Mikuni choke adjustment 21 Feb 2019 17:29 #799025

• Pipes66
  • Pipes66's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes Steve, valves spot on.

Ed,I will check them before removing. I was just anticipating .... I take it the carbs will be off and on several times whilst setting the float height?
1983 kz750 F1 Ltd Shaft US model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mikuni choke adjustment 21 Feb 2019 17:55 #799026

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I wouldn't remove the carbs to set the float heights. You should be able to remove the bowls and floats without removing the carbs from the engine. I've removed the bowls from my carbs more than once using either of the screwdriver tools shown below. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Mikuni choke adjustment 21 Feb 2019 18:00 #799028

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
In absence of a stand I'd use a couple nails and wire them to a door/wall whatever to set them. Setting the floats can be tedious at best with taking the bowles off and on again. I have old carb holders screwed to a door at a comfortable height making setting them a breeze. B)
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: baldy110, old_kaw

Mikuni choke adjustment 21 Feb 2019 23:37 #799033

• Pipes66
  • User
Ed, I thought it may be a faff to re-assemble on the bike. Pete

Steve, if I struggle doing it on the bike with my mahoosive hands I’ll be very glad I have a tall wood topped bench . Pete

Mikuni choke adjustment 22 Feb 2019 01:07 #799037

• Pipes66
  • User
Carb no.2 float level is too high. It’s level with top of the bowl,the other 3 are all 3-4mm below.
I’ve reset the float height without removing the carbs,what a b@stard of a job trying to hold the needle jet in place whist re-fitting the float and pin!!,may have been easier on a lift but that was already taken.
Small improvement on half choke,still stumbles and cuts out on full choke.
I think I’ll put the hotter plugs in and let her go have some fun,to her credit she won the club “iron butt” last year. See if a few miles riding round shows anything on the plugs.
Unless you guys can suggest anything before I call her?
Pete

Last edit: by Pipes66.

Mikuni choke adjustment 22 Feb 2019 04:20 #799038

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 657
Are they sync'd. Always makes things a lot smoother at tickover revs. Makes starting easier also.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Mikuni choke adjustment 22 Feb 2019 07:00 #799045

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
Have you given the carbs a good clean?
While you have them of, strip them down and give them a good ultrasonic bath. There are a number of small passages that needs to be spotless I order to get these carbs to work 100%.
Ed (Nessism) has written a superb rebuild manual for the Mikuni CV carbs.
/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Mikuni choke adjustment 22 Feb 2019 07:19 #799046

• Pipes66
  • User
Carbs were synced last year,waiting for a mate to lend me his set to do them again,doubt it’ll help the choke though ;)

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve stripped and cleaned them,I’m told a friend of hers at z parts ultrasonically cleaned them too,last year.

It’s been a constant problem this choke issue but as I said,it’s better now than it was so it’s a result of sorts. I’ve put the Ngk br7es’ in now so the plugs stay a bit cleaner, she’s gone to put some miles on it now.

Mikuni choke adjustment 22 Feb 2019 08:44 #799055

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

SWest wrote: In absence of a stand I'd use a couple nails and wire them to a door/wall whatever to set them. Setting the floats can be tedious at best with taking the bowles off and on again. I have old carb holders screwed to a door at a comfortable height making setting them a breeze. B)
Steve

That's good idea Steve! I have an old set of carb holders taking up space in the back room myself. . Taking those float bowls off on the bike is a MAJOR PITA. Especially if you have big clumsy hands. It can be done on the bike, but done faster and more accurately with the carbs off.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Mikuni choke adjustment 22 Feb 2019 11:31 #799069

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 89
I'm with Steve and Old Kaw here. Take the carbs off and mount them. It is tedious to take the bowls on and off on the bike. Ed is a ninja and I have no doubt he is efficient when he does it, but I struggle unless I remove them. I have a set of carb holders mounted to a piece of plywood that I mount in a vice so I can work while sitting.

VERY likely you will make more than one adjustment to the float tab before you get it exactly where you want it. So having it on a bench so you can do it quickly multiple times ends up saving me time. I also strongly suggest you use a JIS screwdriver on these bowl screws since they have been and will be on and off several more times in their life. Greatly reduces the chance of stripping the heads on the bowl screws. True for all the screws on the bike but few see the usage as carb bowl screws.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Mikuni choke adjustment 22 Feb 2019 12:52 #799072

• Pipes66
  • User
Never again.......I almost gave up halfway but I got there in the end. It’s 6 & 2 3’s though coz it’s a pita to fit the air box rubbers with my hands.
My screws have been replaced with cap screws so I cut an Allen key down to help. Hardly helped lol
Anyway,someone was looking down on me coz I got it right 1st time.

• Page: