• Page:

TOPIC:

Jetting question 31 Jan 2019 21:15 #798007

• Larsson
  • Larsson's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there!
I aware that similar questions has been asked before, but I would really appreciate an answer to my specific situation.

I have a kz750e with keihin cv34 carbs. The stock airbox is not an option for me since the boots are all hardened and new ones would cost me quite some money with shipping to Sweden.

So I'm looking to installing pods, although I know it's not optimal. Regarding the exhaust I'm planning to use aftermarket mufflers, still with the original 4-2 headers.

I've been thinking about using 140 and 70 jets. Would any of you guys recommend otherwise?

Thank you so much for any input, I really appreciate it!

Kind regards
Kristian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jetting question 01 Feb 2019 05:14 #798014

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I'm sure I do not understand. By the time you have paid for the pods and several sets of jets, needles, etc. you could have simply bought new boots and spent less money and had the bike run properly. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Jetting question 01 Feb 2019 05:28 #798018

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
That jetting works with K&N pods and a 4 into 1 exhaust. it did for me.
K&N pods are expensive. Much more than new intake ducts/boots. Some cheap pods block carb air jets. You get what you pay for.

I dont know how that jetting would work with 4 into 2 exhaust. Perhaps not so good.

Have you checked cmsnl.com ? Located in the Netherlands. Shipping from there may be quite reasonable.
Edit. They may also be available from local kawasaki dealer.... if you have one

Honestly , if you keep airbox and just replace ghe ducts you are better off.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Jetting question 01 Feb 2019 08:03 #798031

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
I agree. I went the pod route but went back to the airbox. When I got my 33's I couldn't use the stock Z1 airbox so I modified the KZ 900 one with larger radiator hose. The OD of the hose is a tight fit in a stock box. In my case I had to enlarge the holes for the larger hose. If you cant get stock boots than this might be the answer for you as well.
Steve
Attachments:

Jetting question 01 Feb 2019 18:14 #798045

• Larsson
  • Larsson's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, I hear you. Im definitly gonna consider getting new boots for the original airbox instead if pods are gonna be such problems.

How do you think it would run with original airbox and jets, but with a pair of aftermarket mufflers?
The original are pretty bad beaten up, I'm afraid.

Or is it all really down to choose one of two routes here?
Either pay easily a 1000$ to get pods, get jets and a 4to1 system and enjoy the good looks and sound OR keeping all original, which I find kinda boring to be honest.

Jetting question 01 Feb 2019 19:04 #798046

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
When my 4 mufflers rusted out I got two Jardine slip ons. The bike ran great but I went up one step when I took it out to 1015 in 78. With pods cross winds can make it starve for air as well as high speeds. The frame becomes pressurized at high speed meaning more air for the box. With pods there is a vortex created by your knees and the volume of air passing by. I went back to the airbox and the problem stopped. I live in a high wind area and my speeds are mostly 70 and above. I'm not saying pods are bad, they're good for the strip and around town. On the HWY they SUCKED literally. :lol:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Larsson

Jetting question 01 Feb 2019 19:08 #798047

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Larsson wrote

How do you think it would run with original airbox and jets, but with a pair of aftermarket mufflers?

I think that installing aftermarket mufflers would not require re jetting, No change in jetting and the bike should run just fine
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Larsson

Last edit: by JR.
  • Page: