Does anyone know of a GOOD KZ Carb Rebuilder?

More
19 Oct 2018 05:49 #792528 by 650Dude
Looking to have my KZ650 carbs rebuilt.

I saw a few listings on eBay of ppl who sell rebuilt carbs or provide the service. Curious to know if anyone can recommend someone.

Thanks!

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2018 06:08 #792530 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Oct 2018 07:06 #792534 by SWest
Have you adjusted the valves and done a tune up first? That must be done BEFORE going to the carbs.
Steve

More
19 Oct 2018 07:47 - 19 Oct 2018 08:11 #792536 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Does anyone know of a GOOD KZ Carb Rebuilder?
What's the general condition of the carburetors? I would at the minimum remove them from the motorcycle, then remove the float bowls to take a look. Then using good fitting tools, remove the floats, main jets & bleeder pipes where the main jets screw in & pilot jets. and remove anything else under there I may have overlooked. Do some cleaning, then put it back together. Then decide if they really need to be sent out. I'd never really done carb work before but went ahead & did the complete disassembly & cleaning and dunked the carb bodies and I thought it was easy. The same thing is done 4 times on a lot of stuff & most parts only go back together one way, so it's kind of hard to mess up.

Last edit: 19 Oct 2018 08:11 by martin_csr.

More
19 Oct 2018 08:48 - 19 Oct 2018 08:48 #792542 by 650ed
Personally I can't image paying someone to "rebuild" the carbs since they are so simple, but if you feel you must try the folks at:

wgcarbs.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 19 Oct 2018 08:48 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

More
19 Oct 2018 09:16 - 19 Oct 2018 09:17 #792544 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Does anyone know of a GOOD KZ Carb Rebuilder?
In order to do a proper rebuild the carbs should be fully unganged and dissembled. Then soak all the hard parts in carb dip, paying particular attention to things such as the pilot jets, to assure all passages are open. Then reassemble the carbs using new gaskets and O-rings. And lastly they need to be leak checked and the fuel level verified using the clear tube method. All the jets can be reused unless damaged. Float seats and needles need to be carefully inspected; if the float needle spring can't hold up the weight of the float they should be replaced. Bottom line though is that they hold fuel back and the fuel level check will verify that.

Here is a VM carb tutorial that may be helpful. It's not super detailed but there is lots of good info inside... members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/i.../vm_carb_rebuild.pdf
Last edit: 19 Oct 2018 09:17 by Nessism.

More
20 Oct 2018 08:52 - 20 Oct 2018 08:54 #792600 by old_kaw
Replied by old_kaw on topic Does anyone know of a GOOD KZ Carb Rebuilder?

650ed wrote: Personally I can't image paying someone to "rebuild" the carbs since they are so simple, but if you feel you must try the folks at:

wgcarbs.com/

I couldn't agree with Ed more! Take your time, and be thorough. Don't over-complicate things and it will run great. Carbs really are simple, and they use some basic fluid physics in their operation. Where you run into trouble is when things get broken or plugged, or just plain assembled wrong.

And believe or not, that air box was calculated to supply the proper amount of air for your engine size.

There is massive quantities of information available at your fingertips on the internet. Does anyone remember libraries? I used to have to go copy this info at $0.10 per page to access it, IF I could even find it. The internet is like having a library in your living room.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Oct 2018 08:54 by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Oct 2018 09:05 #792601 by SWest
If you're going to own classic bikes you better learn how to work on them. :whistle:
Besides, there is a certain sense of satisfaction and security in knowing what's going on in between your legs. B)
Steve

More
20 Oct 2018 09:33 - 20 Oct 2018 09:35 #792602 by 650ed
[quote="old_kaw" post=792600...................And believe or not, that air box was calculated to supply the proper amount of air for your engine size..............[/quote]

Exactly! Months of effort and tons of money went into designing an airbox that would provide maximum performance at all engine speeds. Keep in mind that when these bikes were built there was a LOT of competition between the various manufacturers regarding which bike was the quickest, etc. so the motorcycle engineers worked hard to gain maximum performance from the engines while still keeping the bikes usable on the street. Velocity stacks and other non-stock air filters may (MAY) provide more power at a given engine rpm but typically this will be offset by a loss of power at other rpm.

One other thing to consider - velocity stacks do not provide filtering of the air, so any road grit, bugs, etc. will be sucked into the engine and that will shorten its life. That may not be a big problem for a 1/4 mile race bike that may only be ridden a very few miles between rebuilds, but for a bike that will actually be ridden on the street it can be the kiss of death. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 20 Oct 2018 09:35 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, old_kaw

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Oct 2018 16:00 #792618 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Does anyone know of a GOOD KZ Carb Rebuilder?
REALLY??

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
20 Oct 2018 17:45 #792624 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Does anyone know of a GOOD KZ Carb Rebuilder?
As said above. If you want to have the work done.
Wired George is who you want
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn