Where to get petcock 1977 kz650c

• Ireland 0722
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2018 11:28 #791823 by Ireland 0722
Where to get petcock 1977 kz650c was created by Ireland 0722
I have a 1977 KZ650 C with the original petcock on it. When I bought it from the previous owner the petcock was toast completely not working. The previous owner installed a cheap Home Depot style inline fuel valve which was leaking so I replaced that with a more high quality inline fuel valve. Which is was still only a very temporary fix. I'm to the point now where I need a new pet. I don't want to spend a bunch of money for a pingel I just want a simple either vacuum or gravity feed petcock. Everywhere I looked that has them for a decent price is out of stock please any suggestions whether it's a Suzuki or Yamaha petcock that will fit or a Kawasaki one that will fit any suggestions suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2018 13:58 #791825 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Where to get petcock 1977 kz650c
What's wrong with the original petcock? Original KZ650-C1 petcocks are remarkably simple devices; have you tried fixing it? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Ireland 0722
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2018 14:53 #791826 by Ireland 0722
Replied by Ireland 0722 on topic Where to get petcock 1977 kz650c
yes I have and it's missing the cone and the spring that controls the flow of gasoline and has been missing it since I bought it now the mail piece that the fuel line attaches to pops out if it's aggravated or moved at all and gas flows all over the floor

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Oct 2018 15:29 #791828 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Where to get petcock 1977 kz650c
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe nipple coming out of the petcock is a press fit. When mine got loose I just tapped it with a hammer lightly until it was tight again.
Does it look like this?
Steve

• Ireland 0722
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2018 15:42 #791830 by Ireland 0722
Yes it does look like that end the fix with the nozzle that goes into the fuel line is definitely easy enough but the fact that it has no cone or spring inside to control the fuel flow is definitely a huge problem it's always stuck on. Not to mention the filters that go up inside of the tank itself are missing all it has is two holes into the body of the petcock. I would be open to vacuum or manual as long as it works I would be a happy man. Last night I got my bike to fire up five different times but it died and mediately and wouldn't hold an idle. Today I'm doing a thorough carb cleaning but I think the new petcock would definitely help. Also the guy installed pods on the bike before I bought it but didn't jet it. Any suggestions and could that be one of the main causes of it dying right after starting up

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Oct 2018 16:49 #791834 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Where to get petcock 1977 kz650c
The strainers can be bought at Mikes XS . If it were me I'd buy the one I put up if it will fit. Type in your model and you'll see others with adapters.
I LIKE STOCK. There is a new O ring listed at the top of the page.
As for jetting chances are the pilots are clogged and can be cleaned carefully using a guitar string or strand from a wire brush and carb spray. It should at least run on choke. It won't run for SHT but it should run.
The problem with old bikes, you never know what the PO/PO's did to it. Focus on one thing at a time then move on.
Jetting can be a PITA but if you have no choice, you'll get plenty of suggestions here.
I ran pods on my Z1 and went up one step on the pilots then upped the mains. Still didn't seem to be getting enough fuel at high speed climbing the grade so I installed bigger float valves. The bike ripped up to about 70-80 but was slow getting much higher. Down hill it was great. (I was going the wrong way} Miller suggested I put the air box back on. He explained when at high speeds the air is sucked away from the carbs by a vortex created by your legs and engine starving them for air. With the airbox the frame is pressurized allowing the intake plenty of air. I was hard headed about it but finally installed the stock airbox. IT WORKED. Didn't look as cool as with the pods but I didn't care. I rode the piss out of it until I got my 33's. The Z1 airbox wouldn't work with them but I had a KZ 900 box I cut to fit bigger intake boots I made from radiator hose and have been running ever since.
Like Miller said, "You want to look cool or do you want to go fast?"
BTW, a guy that called himself a friend stole the Z1 airbox, cut the back off and bolted a chrome automotive air cleaner on it for his CB 750. He didn't understand why I was so mad at him and didn't want anything to do with him anymore when he was showing it off to me. :angry: Price a original 1975 Z1b airbox and you'll see what I mean. :pinch:
Steve

• Ireland 0722
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2018 21:53 #791845 by Ireland 0722
Going with the airbox isn't an option. I bought it with pods. Also not sure why but the choke definitely doesn't help. I'm looking at the fitment now on that petcock