Hey yall got it put back together

• They Who Prevail
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Aug 2018 17:21 #788100 by They Who Prevail
Hey yall got it put back together was created by They Who Prevail
I got the bike back together it runs on 1/4 choke at 1000 rpm. But at choke off it runs at 3000 rpm. I am suspecting a vacuum leak. May be a throttle cable slack problem. Looking into everything carb. needs some carb work just got the carb rebuild parts in today. Looking forward to the first ride it is coming up soon. Any suggestions on diaphragms for the mikunis. It seems online they are 50$ a peice..... Got the side covers altough one is red... Minor cosmetic fix get it running like a champ first. Thanks for all the help guys. Z power out of UK had all the parts i needed Z1 had nothing.. Thanks Warren
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2018 17:28 #788101 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hey yall got it put back together
I suggest you try the following.  Get the engine warmed up and temporarily set the idle as low as possible without killing the engine (lower than 900 rpm if possible).  The lower the better because with the idle very low the slides are nearly shut and the vacuum inside the carb holders is at its highest.  Then spray carb cleaner around the carb holders, especially where they mate with the cylinder head and where the carbs attach to them.  Carb cleaner works best for this test as it doesn't leave an oily mess like WD40 or evaporate so quickly that it is not drawn into the leaks as can happen with propane or starting fluid (ether).  If the engine dies or reacts to the carb cleaner you need to replace the carb holders. Carb holder leak related problems are noticeable at idle but generally don't have much impact when riding because the throttle is open.  If you find you need to replace the carb holders soak the screws with Kroil for a couple days before attempting to remove them, and use JIS standard, NOT Phillips, screwdriver bits, and this will greatly improve the odds that you will not break or strip a carb holder fastener as so many have done. Let me know if you need info on JIS bits, I have a good link for making your own at no cost.  Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Aug 2018 17:41 #788102 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Hey yall got it put back together
If the diaphragms are bad they could cause a leak and effect overall running. New carb holders along with them will transform a bad running bike into a machine you can "RIDE THE PISS OUT OF. WOO HOO
Besides, they will last as long as you have the bike. Good money spent.
Steve 

• They Who Prevail
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Aug 2018 17:51 #788103 by They Who Prevail
Replied by They Who Prevail on topic Hey yall got it put back together
Thanks Ed i have had the carb holders off when i had the head off. I did an inspection on them they seem to be ok. I am suspecting the airbox connections or throttle cable. There is a lengthy story behind this bike i have posted under im new here please help if you are interested in reading it. It smoked like thr dickins when it first fired up after 2 kicks. New head gasket new starter clutch it was seized due to a set screw backing out. Anyway i used to ride this bike all the time back in 2007 when i was 18 and i havent rode it since i am looking forward to a country road ride soon. I will rebuild the carbs and look into the carb holders more and the air box intake throttle cable. Thanks alot ed for the info. Keep yall updated and looking forward to a planned event soon possibly in Indiana or Ohio.
Attachments:

• They Who Prevail
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Aug 2018 18:07 #788105 by They Who Prevail
Replied by They Who Prevail on topic Hey yall got it put back together
Hey Steve thanks for the reply. I work with a S.West. we are both engineers/conductors on the shortline railoroad we work on in NW Indiana. Lonf story short this bike sat for 15 years with gas in it my dad and i got it running sold it to my bro when he was hard up for a ride he beat the hell out of it i got it back locked up due to starter clutch screw backing out new head gasket sat for a year before my bro gave it back. Anyway started after 3 kicks battery was no good. Need a OEM petcock for it got replaced with a single with a filter and a t in the lines boooo thats causing problems too i bet. 

More
03 Aug 2018 04:57 #788119 by AtLarge
Replied by AtLarge on topic Hey yall got it put back together
Another one still on the road.  Yee Haw!

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120