Vm29 smoothbore on a 650 wont leave idle

More
29 Jul 2018 19:32 #787886 by PastorPaul
Vm29 smoothbore on a 650 wont leave idle was created by PastorPaul
I've got a 81 650: fresh head and valves after the PO put the cam in wrong and cracked every valve guide.. 

So mechanically its all dialed in. Valves are nice and noisy.

I dont trust their work on carbs and I cant get a warm idle messing with the screws. IDK why they put drag carbs on it... But I have pods and a 4 into 1. (Something id never do)

Pretty sure it needs float needles cause it leaks gas on prime: it could be floats.

Anyone know a good how to for making your own bung for the drain bowl to check fuel level?
$29 is steep for a one use tool.

Also what are the jets for stage 2 on it? I'm 3 notches on the main, pilot 117, think main is 25? Honestly its over carbed with 29s!

But its an issue of pilot air because when it idles it stumbles on the kick over to throttle really bad/ backfires in the exhaust.

Its idling ok. So its mix related it seems.

Mains on these power through anything really; I'm not up that high on the tac

Could be that bowl flooding (my guess), wrong jet (2nd guess) , or i have the air-hole pilot screws way wrong (forum has everything from 1/4th screw to 1 and 1/2... Not a small difference on these).

Things were cleaned/probed so its not junk in a hole. And I glued the boots with 4 bond just to eliminate them as an issue (its was holding RPMs when gunned but carb spray made no diff). I'll buy new ones once it runs and I know I have every gear!

But it gives me both rich and lean signs and I cant make heads or tails of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2018 08:12 - 30 Jul 2018 08:17 #787900 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Vm29 smoothbore on a 650 wont leave idle
What I did was go to the hardware store and bought 4 rubber corks that fit by screwing them into the drain holes then drilling a hole in them to fit the clear 5/16 hose I had........ I had 3 float needles leaking after sitting for ten years so I bought all 4 new and adjusted them up......

I'm running 17.5 pilots, 3 slot on the 0-6 needles and 117.5 mains..... 3/4 of a turn on the air screws seems to be about right for me much more or less and they run pretty rough...... they have always seemed to need to idle higher than the stock 24s to idle cleanly to more like 1,400 to 1,500 vs 1,100 on the stock 24s.

Make sure they are sync'd up nice.... I had that slight stubble off idle for years (have read that's a trait of these) but after going through these again cleaning them up, setting the floats and sync, some new gaskets, o rings and new carb holders its about 90% better. Ran really good this spring but then around the 1st of June I had a hospital stay and had to let it sit till a couple weeks ago and it seems to have gummed up a little. Starts ok but seems to want to foul up a little and is running a little rough now (at idle) ......thinking getting it out and running it hard would clean it out but unable to for a little longer and might have to clean em out a little this fall when I put it away.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2018 08:17 by KZB2 650.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
30 Jul 2018 18:19 #787933 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Vm29 smoothbore on a 650 wont leave idle
Yeah 29's are way overkill for a stock 650 but they are worth money around $700 for a good set. Sell them and buy a set of VM24's. You would by happy with those and they are easier to tune.  Also the valves shouldn't be noisy.