not sure where to start?

More
17 May 2018 07:40 #783542 by menace
not sure where to start? was created by menace
so i have a project going. I started with a bike that had not ran in 7 years the guy said he just decided to park it and buy a harley. so i got the bike home found that the carbs were not in too bad of shape so i cleaned them up i did not pull the choke plungers but i cleaned everything else out. i went with dyna s ignition 120 mains the next size up pilots and uni filters 1075 hi comp piston kit and ape rollers and a vance and hines pipe. i have fuel in the carbs but after cranking it for days i do not have any fuel on the spark plugs at full choke. im not sure where to start because i have done so much. i think maybe my choke circuit is plugged or my timing is off. 95 percent sure that i have the cam timing correct but since i decked the head and cylinders 5 thou each and its a came chain with a few miles on it that my timing is not absolutely perfect i was told by a few old timers that this is pretty common and should not be a problem. i had it back fire once and i had it back pop through the carbs twice. not sure where to start start i was thinking about putting a few drops of fuel in the cylinders or spraying it into the carbs. what do you guys think ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 May 2018 07:47 #783543 by SWest

More
17 May 2018 08:02 #783544 by menace
Replied by menace on topic not sure where to start?
i know that my ignition timing is as close as possible since i cannot get it running i can not fine tune it with a timing light. i used a test light i set it at the last mark turned the magnet to full advance and it lit up the light on 1-4 and 2-3 then rotated then rotated it to the f mark and it light the light then cranked it over while holding a plug grounded to the engine and checked all 4 wires for spark and they all had spark the wires are all numbered for the cylinder holes. my biggest concern is the fact the after cranking it for 30 minutes there was no fuel on the plugs nor did they smell of fuel. I have 110 mixed with 91 in the tank so it should be pretty good fuel.

More
17 May 2018 08:14 #783545 by menace
west are you saying to flip the colored wires around on the ignition that are green and black in case that they messed them up color coding them at dyna?

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
17 May 2018 08:49 - 17 May 2018 08:54 #783547 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic not sure where to start?
menace wrote:

there was no fuel on the plugs nor did they smell of fuel

Looking more like the carbs are plugged. Do a quick test.
If you got sparks then try to spray brake cleaner or fuel into the carbs opening or air filter box and try it again to start the engine. If the engine starts for some seconds then you have to do a carb clean/rebuild.
Last edit: 17 May 2018 08:54 by Scirocco.

More
17 May 2018 22:52 #783586 by menace
It's gotta be the can timing. I don't know how got the engine to role over without binding up but I did. I moved the cams all over for a couple of hours tonight and no such luck im either hitting the valves together or i end up a tooth off on my 28 teeth count i feel like a fucking idiot . I didn't over crank it when the valves touched as soon as I got any kind of binding i stopped i guess I will keep playing with them till they are right.