• RupertBear25
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Apr 2018 10:56 #781541 by RupertBear25
KZ750 1981 fuel tap / petcock outlet angle was created by RupertBear25
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me out?...

The tank and carbs have been off my bike since January getting cleaned and overhauled.

I put the tank back on, with a new fuel hose fitted, didn't check it very well, and went for a ride. That ended when the fuel hose kinked, stopping fuel supply, and after being released a couple of times, gave a huge fuel leak as the hose wore through.

Back in the daylight, I can see that the fuel tap outlet is at 45 degrees, photo attached, and crashes into the top of the carbs. So the fuel hose rubs hard against the carb top and soon wears through. You have to raise the back of the tank way above the fixing hole to get it clear. I guess the fuel hose that was there before was a bit tougher.

Ebay has a tap with the right part number 51023-1029. Their photo shows it coming out at 90 degrees, horizontal, so the fuel hose would pass over the tops of the carbs. But that is in USA and very expensive to get over here. The shape of the tap is somewhat different too.

Questions for you experts, please:
Has my bike got the wrong tap?
Can I get the right one in the UK at a sensible price? Anyone have a spare kicking around that they'd sell me?
Can I just twist the outlet through 45 degrees (it looks like its pressed or bonded in there) or will that snap off?

Thanks!
Rupert

Rupert
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2018 20:30 #781589 by JR
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYour petcock has Res, Prime and On which would suggest that its a vacuum operated petcock and brings the question - is there another outlet at the back of the petcock ? A vacuum petcock will have a narrower line going to one of the carb nipples which supplies vacuum when the engine is turning which allows the petcock diaphragm to open and fuel to flow via 2nd outlet

I checked CMSNL in Netherlands and other sites and it looks like 51023-1029 is no longer available www.cmsnl.com/products/tap-assy-fuel_510231029/#.Wswp_IjwbIV

I'm not totally sure but think you may be able to use a petcock from a GS Suzuki
Maybe one like this one If this one is indeed a vacuum one then the brass nipple should be for vacuum and the other larger grey nipple for fuel. You would also need to check bolt spacing on your petcock.

Hopefully those with more knowledge and experience than I will be along soon with more help

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Scirocco
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
09 Apr 2018 21:38 - 09 Apr 2018 21:58 #781594 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic KZ750 1981 fuel tap / petcock outlet angle
RupertBear25 wrote:

Has my bike got the wrong tap?

Definitive YES!

A Kawasaki Zr750 / ZR7-S petcock could be an alternative solution.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2018 21:58 by Scirocco.

• RupertBear25
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2018 06:54 #781658 by RupertBear25
Replied by RupertBear25 on topic KZ750 1981 fuel tap / petcock outlet angle
Great, thanks! Yes it has a vacuum line, that is at 90deg so it is fine. Will look at other options, thanks!

Rupert

• RupertBear25
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2018 06:56 #781659 by RupertBear25
Thanks, I'll have a look out for those. Meanwhile, as the petcock is not good to me anyway, I'll get it in the vice and twist it see whether it moves or snaps first!
:)
R

Rupert

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Apr 2018 07:09 #781660 by SWest

• RupertBear25
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Apr 2018 05:07 #781692 by RupertBear25
I'm away a few days, Swest, will check when I'm home.

R

Rupert

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Apr 2018 07:12 #781738 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic KZ750 1981 fuel tap / petcock outlet angle
Can't remember since rebuilding my 750E fuelcock but you may be able to rotate that back cover. Gotta take it apart first to see though.

• RupertBear25
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Apr 2018 14:45 #781916 by RupertBear25
Well, it turns out you can just twist the fuel outlet pipe to change the angle! Didn't take much force, it felt like there was some sort of o-ring in there and no leaks after.

R

Rupert