Vm29 smooth bores

More
24 Mar 2018 15:58 #780748 by Gary
Vm29 smooth bores was created by Gary
Hi I have just bought A 1977 Z1000 A1 it seems to have smooth bores on it I know there have been plenty of posts on these but not so recent, the bike goes like a rocket is fine once warm but I have a couple of issues.
If I leave the Pringle fuel tap on for more that 15 mins I end up withe fuel all over the motor, I pulled the bowls off removed the needle and seat checked condition and clean , I set float height with clear tube cleaned the jets that were accessible & thought it was solved but still flooding,
Also the bike stars easy with choke but is difficult to get to idle properly once it’s warm is ok or you end up having to back off the idle speed.

Is it worth persisting with thes carbs? If so where can I find new needle and seats ( the ones I have have a screen filter on top) or other parts.
Should I look for a set of VM26 and put back to standard at least you can get kits for them don’t want to spend a heap trying to fix these carbs if they will always be trouble, should have mentioned has pod filters but I will be putting back to original air box with out the silencer.
I appreciate any help or advice
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Mar 2018 16:43 #780750 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
24 Mar 2018 18:13 #780751 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Vm29 smooth bores
Had mine sittin for a while so I bought the needed o rings, cleaned em and while setting the fuel level found out 3 were leaking even though they looked in exc shape ......bought new needle and seats at Z1 and problem solved........ Mine were fine from 1983 to 2006 when the carbs sat till 2017 in my living room. (mainly cause the holders dry'd and cracked up so went back to the stock 24s and then engine problems).

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
24 Mar 2018 20:32 #780764 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Vm29 smooth bores
Not entirely sure how do I check? for sure they are not stock as they have the filter on the needle and seat if they overflow they fuel comes out the pod filters and they have about a 16 mm alloy drain plug in the bottom, the bike performs pretty well but I must admit haven’t ridden any other Z1000

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Mar 2018 20:41 #780767 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Vm29 smooth bores
If they have the drain plug then they might be 29's. Good carbs but like the 33's (like mine) the vacuum signal is so weak it's hard to get a good low idle. These are race carbs so if tuned right you can RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT. :woohoo:
Steve

More
25 Mar 2018 08:25 - 25 Mar 2018 08:27 #780776 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Vm29 smooth bores

Gary wrote: Not entirely sure how do I check? for sure they are not stock as they have the filter on the needle and seat if they overflow they fuel comes out the pod filters and they have about a 16 mm alloy drain plug in the bottom, the bike performs pretty well but I must admit haven’t ridden any other Z1000

29 smoothbores don't have overflow circuits, so a fuel level that rises too high for whatever reason can get into the carb throat and flow both backward into the pods or air filter box and also flow forward through the intake port into the cylinder down around the piston and into the crankcase, thereby diluting and contaminating the oil with raw gasoline. Which is definitely not a good thing, and can actually result in disastrous consequences such as a frozen/ruined engine.

Would not again run the engine until examining condition of the crankcase oil. Use both the "smell or sniff" test for gasoline odor and also examine the physical condition of the oil.

In event of crankcase oil contamination, should change both oil and filter, and correct the carb overflow issue, before again running the engine.

Savvy folks running smoothbores (or other carbs without overflow circuits) are especially mindful about keeping perfect float valve functions and performing clear tube tests to verify that the fuel levels are within spec and staying in spec.

Tip --- If the oil level showing in the sight glass appears higher for no apparent reason, it may be due to gasoline having entered the crankcase.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 25 Mar 2018 08:27 by Patton.

More
25 Mar 2018 12:17 #780790 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Vm29 smooth bores
Good call Patton .... we should a addressed this...... I caught mine over flowing doing the clear tube test on the bench then let it sit over night to be sure the new parts fixed it before putting them on.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
30 Mar 2018 18:50 #781048 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Vm29 smooth bores
Their VM29's look at his pic.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.