'81 KZ750 4 won't hold an idle or rev linearly (anymore)

More
10 Mar 2018 07:40 #780013 by docpidge
Hey all,

this is my first post on these forums and I've heard nothing but good things about you all!
A little intro; picked up the bike in September of last year in decent running order. Spent the winter tinkering around and changed brake fluid, pads, oil, and a few cosmetic changes.

The only outstanding issue was with a suspected vacuum leak, as the revs would sometimes hang or rise unexpectedly. It also took about 45 seconds of cranking (in 30 f or so weather) and some throttle encouragement with full choke to get her running from cold.

About a week ago, I taught a good mate of mine some basic clutch control and low speed maneuvers. It got a little hot since it was in a garage the whole time but nothing out of the ordrinary. So, I put it away and thought nothing of it. The next day, I came to start it up and it took forever to start up, as well as it dying as soon as I let off the throttle. Even if I brought the revs up to 4000 or so and try to let the clutch out it'd stall immediately.
There some sea foam in there, no result.
Removed the spark plugs, which were new in September, and was a little alarmed.
Picture as attached.

I have a gut feeling it's the carburetor, but the butterfly valves are all synced when I adjust the choke. Before taking it to a pro, is there anything else I can really do? Is a serious vacuum leak a possible cause for this?

Anything is much appreciated! I'm in upstate NY for college and she's been the light at the end of every day since I started.

1981 KZ750 LTD
Scrambled!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Mar 2018 08:05 #780014 by SWest
Valves adjusted? A lot of times a bike is sold saying the carbs need cleaning but the PO just was too lazy or cheap to adjust them. Start with the basics first.
Steve

More
10 Mar 2018 08:15 #780016 by docpidge
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the prompt reply!
I was fearing this, and this was definitely something I was planning on leaving to the pros in a few months; I've looked into doing it at home, but it seems challenging. It would explain the hard to start nature and the rough idle at times, would it account for the sudden stall as soon as I let off throttle?

Cheers!

1981 KZ750 LTD
Scrambled!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Mar 2018 08:56 #780019 by SWest
It could cause all that. It's not that difficult and you'll get plenty of help here.
Steve