Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?

More
10 Feb 2018 06:14 #778458 by Scout2kz9
Adding sea foam after carb rebuild? was created by Scout2kz9
Hey, new to the forums and bike world.

The bike I’m working on is a ‘76 KZ900 which hasn’t ran in over a decade. Threw dynas electronic ignition on and got spark back, compression test went well, and I’m currently rebuilding the set of mikuni carbs. After looking down the spark plug hole the top of the cylinder is really dirty and instantly through of sea foam as a cleaner.

This is probably a silly question but I need some others voices on it. Sea foam and freshly rebuilt carbs will be alright correct? I also see that you are able to clean the crank case with it or with the kz900 it’s the “chain oil case” correct? I’ll be replacing the chain after I get the bike running so I can run the cleaner th right then replace the chain.

Has anyone had issues with seafoam or any other cleaners? Any better methods of cleaning up the combustion chamber/crank case other than running it before and oil change?

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2018 06:26 #778459 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?
The one problem I have read about with Seafoam is when folks do not follow the instructions on the can. Instead of using the recommended amount per gallon of fuel they put in too much, then they are surprised when they have problems with the engine not running well. Be sure to use only the recommended amount per gallon of fuel. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Feb 2018 07:14 #778463 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?

Assure that carb cleaner spray exits into orifice #6 into the carb bore.
An obstructed orifice into carb bore may be stubborn to clean, and perhaps not cleared via ultrasonic soaking or other methods other than rather forceful spray as indicated in the above diagram

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2018 07:28 - 10 Feb 2018 07:32 #778464 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?
As known, when dealing with the carbs, always keep the same needle with its same seat, and do not mix and match needles and seats.

When bench-syncing the carbs, remember to set the idle knob where there's sufficient thread remaining to further lower the slides during the later running-sync.

Would also inspect the automatic ignition timing advancer, which may require lubrication at the least, and perhaps also removal and cleaning.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Feb 2018 07:32 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Feb 2018 07:29 #778465 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?
Valve guide seals are likely to be the culprit. If they are hard then the O ring around the cam chain tunnel will start leaking as well.
Steve

More
10 Feb 2018 08:34 #778468 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?
Read up a little on Regane carb and comb cleaner.......... I used half water and half trans fluid sprayed in the carbs while reving as a suggestion but didn't seem to do much. The regane might help over the long haul.... i've been using it since I put in the new pistons and they look damn good but I only have a little over 2,000 miles too.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
10 Feb 2018 08:58 - 10 Feb 2018 09:03 #778470 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI always use ERC carb dip to clean carburetors with very good results.
It can be diluted with fuel and is re-usable for later carb rebuilds.

www.erc-online.de/en/erc-additiv/product...carburettor-cleaner/

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Feb 2018 09:03 by Scirocco.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Feb 2018 19:40 #778503 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?
You don't need to worry about carbon on the pistons. It's normal.

Not sure what the question is regarding the chain case. Are you contemplating Sea Foam to clean the outside of the engine? If so, that's a very expensive choice. I'd use mineral spirits or some sort of engine cleaner spray.

More
10 Feb 2018 20:08 #778504 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?
If the carb cleaning was a can of carb spraying on a workbench I would say yes, run some "Seafoam". If it was a dip/soak or sonic cleaner total disassembly, new gaskets rebuild, then no Seafoam treatment would be needed. If the bike isn't ridden regularly, then perhaps it could be needed/used if the bike runs kinda off after some time. I do use seafoam to keep my XS650 BS34's clean.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

More
11 Feb 2018 11:17 #778540 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?
Personally I prefer Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner over Seafoam. But as others have said only the recommended amount. I also put one quart of MMO into the crankcase with the remainder plain dyno oil . Run that for 100 miles or so then drain and refill with oil. That really removes the sludge from the crankcase on old neglected bikes and auto engines.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

More
11 Feb 2018 16:13 #778552 by 650Dude
Replied by 650Dude on topic Adding sea foam after carb rebuild?

jdvorchak wrote: Personally I prefer Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner over Seafoam. But as others have said only the recommended amount. I also put one quart of MMO into the crankcase with the remainder plain dyno oil . Run that for 100 miles or so then drain and refill with oil. That really removes the sludge from the crankcase on old neglected bikes and auto engines.

A trick my Dad taught me is to put transmission fluid in the crankcase before you change the oil, and while the old dirty oil is still in. Run it for 15 min and drain. Man the stuff that came out of the engine was amazing. I use it on this beast. my Buick

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments: