DIY "T" Fitting

More
19 Sep 2017 05:56 - 19 Sep 2017 05:58 #771209 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic DIY "T" Fitting
Regarding fuel line, fuel filters. etc. Take a look at the link below. It shows what I have been using for a number of years with zero problems. Keep in mind that I have owned my 1977 KZ650 since it was new (40+ years) and a BSA for 11 years prior to that, so I have tried quite a few different fuel lines etc. My current setup works great; I installed it all about 5 years ago. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/60653...dles-terribly#767480

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 19 Sep 2017 05:58 by 650ed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2017 06:48 #771215 by Smallzphoto
Replied by Smallzphoto on topic DIY "T" Fitting
Ok cool thx for the info!
I initially went with the clear to fix a problem getting a good seal which I thought was causing the fuel leak.
It was actually the T fitting hahah.
Glad I kept the SAE fuel line that I removed.

650ed, wow! That's so cool that you've had that bike for so long!!! May I ask how many miles are on it?

Ive been slowly bringing my kz440 ltd back to life over the last couple months. A friend gave it to me. It hasn't run in 3 years and I think he only rode it the one time, to get it from the previous owners house to his storage.

I haven't even ridden it yet except for down to the end of my block to test out throttle response with an airbox I had made for it.
At this point it only needs this T fitting, brake fluid, and a rear tire. Then I can finally get a chance to ride it for real!

More
19 Sep 2017 08:32 #771228 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic DIY "T" Fitting
I've used many types of clear fuel lines. At best they just get yellow and crappy looking. But I've some disintegrate in a matter of days. My buddy used clear blue line once and the inside of his carbs were coated with a blue goo after a few months. It took a while to clean them out.

It's not necessarily gasoline that causes the problem. It's the ethanol. Going from 5% to 10% can have a very dramatic effect on various plastics and rubbers. Now with 15% looming, who knows how long anything will last.

Ed (Nessism) had a link to some actual factory fuel line from Suzuki, I think. If it comes in the close to 1/4" size, I would get that. Otherwise I use automotive (non-fuel-injection) fuel line. If you want to see the fuel, get a see through filter with a metal element. Don't use a paper element meant for cars. Gravity does not provide enough pressure to flow through those.

For some reason, the clear plastic of this type of filter seems to hold up really well to ethanol. I have one that's been in use for several years, and it hasn't really even turned yellow.

This is the 5/16" one from Z1 Enterprises. They don't seem to have a 1/4" version.
Attachments:

More
19 Sep 2017 09:25 - 19 Sep 2017 09:27 #771233 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic DIY "T" Fitting

Smallzphoto wrote: Ok cool thx for the info!
650ed, wow! That's so cool that you've had that bike for so long!!! May I ask how many miles are on it?

A bit over 60,000 miles. The bike has always performed well; other than routine maintenance (oil changes, points, etc.) I've never had to do any work on the engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2017 09:27 by 650ed.

More
03 Oct 2017 17:30 #772285 by Smallzphoto
Replied by Smallzphoto on topic DIY "T" Fitting
I ordered and installed the correct replacement part! Thanks for the info guys!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Oct 2017 17:38 #772287 by SWest