Adjusting carbs

More
25 Aug 2017 10:51 #769736 by Mortamie
Adjusting carbs was created by Mortamie
OK guys here is another one for ya. I had to rebuild my carbs to get the bike back up and running and now I am reading stuff on adjusting your jets some say 1/2 turn out others say 1 1/2 turn. My problem is I am uncertain as to what they are talking about. I was wondering if someone could break this process down for me, in laymen terms, so I can make sure all my carbs are set proper before I sync them?

1977 Kz1000 A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
25 Aug 2017 14:48 - 25 Aug 2017 14:58 #769750 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Adjusting carbs
1 1/2 turn out is a good start for a basic adjustment

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Aug 2017 14:58 by Scirocco.

More
25 Aug 2017 15:14 - 25 Aug 2017 15:27 #769751 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Adjusting carbs
FSM for 1977 KZ1000 says pilot screw spec is 1 ¼ ± ⅛ out (with 17.5 pilot jet).

Bench sync is supposed to equalize the throttle slide heights. The pilot screws can all be set at 1 ¼ turns out before performing the running sync where the slide heights may be further adjusted if necessary to achieve equal vacuums for each cylinder at idle rpm, and the pilot screws can be adjusted for fine tuning toward the smoothest possible idle (and strong pullaway). If there's popping through the exhaust on deceleration, sometimes slighter richer pilot screw settings will reduce or eliminate the popping.

When doing the bench sync, be sure to allow sufficient thread length on the throttle stop screw to permit further lowering of the throttle slides during the running sync, as it may otherwise be impossible to sufficiently lower the rpm to the desired idle.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 25 Aug 2017 15:27 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Aug 2017 17:06 #769753 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Adjusting carbs
Be sure there are no air leaks at the head. Otherwise you can be chasing your tail trying to get them right.
Steve

More
25 Aug 2017 18:51 #769759 by Mortamie
Replied by Mortamie on topic Adjusting carbs

SWest wrote: Be sure there are no air leaks at the head. Otherwise you can be chasing your tail trying to get them right.
Steve

How do I check if there are air leaks?

1977 Kz1000 A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Aug 2017 19:46 #769761 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Adjusting carbs
The carb holders will get hard where they meet the head. Try carb spray or such and see if the idle changes. Sometimes the only way you can tell is by taking them off. If going to this much trouble I'd change them.
Steve
jetsrus.com/mounting_flanges/mounting_flanges.html

More
28 Aug 2017 10:06 #769919 by Mortamie
so if I am understanding this right the pilot jet that is inside the carb next to the main jet I screw in all the way lightly seating it? and the only thing I am adjusting 1 1/2 turns out is the pilot screw limiter which is the item with the spring and a needle like point on it on the motor side of the carb that you can adjust without taking the carb apart? Is this correct or am I misunderstanding?

1977 Kz1000 A1

More
28 Aug 2017 11:23 #769921 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Adjusting carbs
All internal jets are just lightly tightened on their seat and have no adjustment apart from fitting various different sizes to suit certain engine modifications.
The fuel pilot screw with the spring and needle point under the carb is the one to adjust .
Start by setting them all the same on each carb to set a base line.
Go by the service manual if in any doubt.
If you don't understand the basics of this it may be wiser and cheaper in the long run to bring in an experienced mechanic.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
28 Aug 2017 17:26 #769928 by Mortamie
I understand. Thank you.

1977 Kz1000 A1