'83 440, Sputters then quits (video)

More
15 Jul 2017 22:53 - 16 Jul 2017 11:42 #767060 by CultureClap
'83 440, Sputters then quits (video) was created by CultureClap

it sounds like the engine isn't getting enough gas. When I tried to accelerate, it quit. It wouldn't start after that --- the suggestion was to make sure it wasn't getting air locked. We'd left the bike to grab the truck and trailer. When we came back, I opened the gas tank, and the bike started up. I drove it fine for a mile or two, then I took a right turn in first. As I applied the throttle it quit again. I opened up the gas tank, let air through, it started up, after a couple of tries, applying the choke, and I got it back home.

Later that evening, we're trying to figure out what's going on. It drove fine for a while, but then would act opposite the throttle's actions, and quit. So we started it up and let it idle. When the petcock was set to ON, it would turn over, and idle for a while, then eventually seem to "skip", sputter and quit. It didn't do this immediately when it was set to PRIME. Though even on PRI it would sputter and skip when throttling slowly, but it wouldn't quit. Though it couldn't smoothly hold at 2.5k rpm either.

I'm wondering if it is the vacuum pressure that is lacking, some folks seem to loathe the vacuum actuated petcock, and prefer a manual one. If that is a reasonable way to go, I would not mind a simpler structure. I do have a manual, and am starting at page one of the maintenance section. Though I aspire to use this vehicle as a primary method of transport; if anyone might have any insight, I thought it reasonable to ask after having done at least some research :)

Last question, what ought the rpms be at idle??

Thank you!!

Link to Video

Total newb --- 1983 KZ440 LTD 13,790 miles -- runs, but now to make it shine!
Last edit: 16 Jul 2017 11:42 by CultureClap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jul 2017 18:18 #767124 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: CultureClap

More
16 Jul 2017 20:36 - 16 Jul 2017 20:42 #767129 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic '83 440, Sputters then quits (video)
A couple quick hitters. Does it have an inline filter and have you removed it and just run a straight line? Do you have fresh fuel in it?
If you have a remote fuel supply ( a baby bottle for the bike) have you tried running it on the bottle? That would take a clogged tank vent and the petcock out of the equation.

Bikes that run on choke and die when you come off idle make me think of clogged pilot jets. But I'd do the easy stuff first. BTW - Cool bike.

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1
Last edit: 16 Jul 2017 20:42 by ajsfirehawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CultureClap

More
17 Jul 2017 00:33 #767141 by CultureClap
Replied by CultureClap on topic '83 440, Sputters then quits (video)
TOTAL ROOKIE ERROR!!!

When I put gas in the at the station, I got 91 octane... but I didn't notice the other 91 octane that is ethanol-free. These bike really hate the ethanol. Oh well, I learned a bunch about the bike draining the fuel, removing the tank and poking around with my tooth brush :)

Thanks y'all!!

Total newb --- 1983 KZ440 LTD 13,790 miles -- runs, but now to make it shine!

More
17 Jul 2017 10:18 #767166 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic '83 440, Sputters then quits (video)
Agreed ethanol is a drag but it shouldn't make that dramatic a difference. Most importantly I'm glad you are up and running.

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

More
17 Jul 2017 11:26 #767172 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '83 440, Sputters then quits (video)

ajsfirehawk wrote: Agreed ethanol is a drag but it shouldn't make that dramatic a difference. Most importantly I'm glad you are up and running.

I agree. Unless he put in E85 or E95 fuel the engine should still have run ok. I have no choice - 10% ethanol is all that I can get where I live, and other than reduced fuel economy the engine runs fine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)