• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Jul 2017 20:12 #766189 by SWest
Keep an eye on incase it leans out otherwise HAVE A BLAST.:woohoo:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
06 Jul 2017 15:04 #766258 by gd4now
Sounds and looks like you have it sorted out. Good on ya!!!!

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
19 Jul 2017 05:52 - 19 Jul 2017 05:57 #767295 by daveo

gd4now wrote: Sounds and looks like you have it sorted out. Good on ya!!!!

So I thought...

I recently asked a Mikuni rep about the very-specific restrictive manual instruction for the RS Series Pilot Fuel Screw adjustment range (1/8 to 1/2 turn out maximum), and received the following response:

"Not sure why the Mikuni says so little out, they don't even come from Mikuni that far in. We normally run them 1 to 1.5 turns out and that is how they come from Mikuni. I go by if the bike runs best with the screw less than half turn out you need a smaller pilot, if needs to be more than 3 turns out you need a bigger pilot."

SAY WHAT?

:pinch:

That was a couple weeks ago, and I've had plenty of time since to think about it. So last night I opened them up, while observing the results with my Color Tune tool...:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

:woohoo:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 19 Jul 2017 05:57 by daveo.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
19 Jul 2017 16:25 #767325 by Kray-Z
Dave,

Apparently you are not the only one who went by the Mikuni instructions - my buddy finally (finally!!!) got back to me about how far his RS36's were turned out - he said about 3/4 turn, and even though he had the smallest pilot jet (I think 17.5), the A/F meter reading was too rich. It would not start or idle consistently if he turned them in any more than that. He tried going up to 22.5 pilots with the screws turned out 1/2, but that didn't work. His plugs were black while running in city, unless he rode around in second gear at 5000 rpm all the time, which, of course, draws too much attention from the police...

The racing RS38's I have had the accelerator pump removed and blocked off. Those came off a CMA / AMA GSXR-750 slingshot built and raced in the 90's. I think it was last tuned by Leitner and Busch. I haven't opened them up yet to see what jets are in those - still too busy assembling some KZ and XS engines and completing and bench setting up my set of TMR32 flat-slides, which also arrived missing various parts, and also taken from a GSXR750 (88 Limited Edition) ex race bike, that one being a UK model...

-Scott

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
19 Jul 2017 22:23 #767355 by daveo
I'm back to 1/2 out after swapping air jets from 0.9 to 0.8 then lowered the needle a notch.
Can't help it...these RS carbs have too many things to play with. I do that more than some folks besides me think I should. :whistle:
Sooner or later I'll get it right, and then something else will change...it's inevitable.

:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jul 2017 06:50 #767375 by SWest
Remember that article. Jumping around won't get you there.
Steve