1980 KZ 1000. Backfire and popping issues.

More
19 Jun 2017 21:34 #764835 by Cjtkz1000
Hello!

I'm new to the forum so I hope I am posting this correctly.

I picked up a 1980 kz1000 about a month or so ago and it has been running great other than a few fixable issues I have had to deal with but now I'm kinda stuck.

A few days ago I had bowl #1 stick and dump fuel out of the overflow when the petckock was on. (Running aftermarket dual nipple- no vacuum line)

Pulled the carbs and noticed that the carbs were not fully seated into the boots. Up until now the bike has ran great. I did have #2 bowl stick as well after about a week of putting miles on the bike. Pretty simple fix after cleaning the carbs real well one at a time.

When the #1 bowl decided to stick I pulled the carbs again and proceeded to clean the overflowing carb. Remounted them and this time pushed them all the way into the boots. I decided to run seafoam through the tank as I have had friends and have read others have great results with it. Ran about 3/4 of the tank the issues started. I have now since drained the fuel and I am getting popping through carbs and backfiring issues

Also, I have read that no vacuum line running from the petcock can cause issues but it didn't do it until about 3 days ago after the #1 bowl started overflowing.

The vacuum lines on the carbs between 2&3 are branched together and capped.

Haha sorry if this is jumbled as I am typing it on my iPhone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2017 06:50 #764859 by stratman
Replied by stratman on topic 1980 KZ 1000. Backfire and popping issues.

Cjtkz1000 wrote: The vacuum lines on the carbs between 2&3 are branched together and capped.

Vacuum lines (plural)? That doesn't sound right. Do you have any pictures of your carbs? If not, what specific model KZ1000 is it?

Barry

1981 KZ650 CSR

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jun 2017 07:41 #764864 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 1980 KZ 1000. Backfire and popping issues.
Before going to the carbs check the valves. I know it's a PITA but PO's won't do them, just sell the bike saying it needs carbs cleaned.
Steve