KZ200A bogging at highway speeds (50+ MPH).

• dragonov_elite
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2017 15:56 #764306 by dragonov_elite
KZ200A bogging at highway speeds (50+ MPH). was created by dragonov_elite
The bike is a 78 KZ200A. I bought the bike not running so it has been a project. the bike has 3800 miles on it so its in good condition. Things I have done in maintenance to get the bike in running condition. Cleaned and rebuilt carburetor, Adjusted points and cleaned, new spark plug, new carb rubber boots, cleaned and sealed rusty gas tank and replaced petcock, adjusted timing and ignition timing, oil change, replaced battery, replaced coil pack, replaced rectifier. I am sure there is more that I have done to it I just cant think of it at this time.

The issue I am having with the bike is that it runs good at lower speeds (anything under 50mph) for any duration of time. Once I get up to 50 mph and maintain speed for a mile or two the bike ends up bogging and dying. The bike will start back up again once it has been shut down. I have checked to see if it is a vacuum issue with the gas tank by running with the gas cap open and had no change in the symptom.

Thank you for any help.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2017 16:42 #764312 by 650ed

dragonov_elite wrote: The bike is a 78 KZ200A. I bought the bike not running so it has been a project. the bike has 3800 miles on it so its in good condition. Things I have done in maintenance to get the bike in running condition. Cleaned and rebuilt carburetor, Adjusted points and cleaned, new spark plug, new carb rubber boots, cleaned and sealed rusty gas tank and replaced petcock, adjusted timing and ignition timing, oil change, replaced battery, replaced coil pack, replaced rectifier. I am sure there is more that I have done to it I just cant think of it at this time.

The issue I am having with the bike is that it runs good at lower speeds (anything under 50mph) for any duration of time. Once I get up to 50 mph and maintain speed for a mile or two the bike ends up bogging and dying. The bike will start back up again once it has been shut down. I have checked to see if it is a vacuum issue with the gas tank by running with the gas cap open and had no change in the symptom.

Thank you for any help.

Check to ensure there are no kinks or obstructions in the fuel line. They can create a condition where the fuel flow from the tank to the carb is not keeping up with the rate of fuel consumption by the engine. If this happens, the bike will act like it is out of fuel, but after it sits for a short time the carb will be replenished and the engine will run again. At low speeds this problem may not show up if the engine is using fuel at a slower rate, but when the fuel demand is greater at high speeds the problem can occur. Guess how I know? :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• dragonov_elite
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2017 19:39 #764328 by dragonov_elite
Replied by dragonov_elite on topic KZ200A bogging at highway speeds (50+ MPH).
Cool, ill look into that tomorrow. Could an inline fuel filter possibly cause a choke point on this carb?

Thanks for the reply.

More
13 Jun 2017 20:08 #764332 by 650ed
It depends on which inline filter you have. Some reduce the flow if the fuel system (like that of our KZ bikes) is not pressurized. Other filters don't reduce the flow much at all. If you cannot find any problems in the fuel line itself you may want to bypass the filter and make a 50+ mph run to see if the problem persists. If it does you should get a different inline filter. I use a Golan Super Mini Fuel Filter. It was relatively expensive, but I will never need to replace it, and it doesn't restrict the flow of fuel. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonov_elite

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Jun 2017 21:04 #764335 by SWest
I didn't see where you said you adjusted the valves. Have you? If not they should be done.
Steve

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
14 Jun 2017 07:25 #764357 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic KZ200A bogging at highway speeds (50+ MPH).
Im with Ed on this .
Is fuel line original ??? They swell up internally over time .
Fuel petcock clean of debris . Is petcock vacumn actuated ?? Just because you cleaned the tank never assume anything
Test fuel system by disconnecting at carb and let fuel pour into a can and check for good solid stream of gas
Next if all else fails pull carb back apart and check for debris and or water in bowl
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
15 Jun 2017 01:23 #764419 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic KZ200A bogging at highway speeds (50+ MPH).
You can confirm the fuel supply issue by turning off the gas once the bike stalls, drain float bowl and compare amount to havingbthe fuel,on and just sitting for a few minutes. Recheck float measurement too.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, dragonov_elite

• dragonov_elite
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jun 2017 17:54 #765208 by dragonov_elite
Well i did find a kink in my fuel line. I replaced that so that there would be no more kink. Still had issues. Finally replace full lines and tried running with out a fuel filter. Issue is still present as of now. Thank you for the suggestions. I will be checking my float level and fuel flow out of the petcock. Once i run the tank down low enough ill pull the petcock out and check for debris. The petcock i have on the tank now does have a filter built onto it. ill also be double checking my valve clearances and ignition timing again. Now its just finding time to do it all hahaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
23 Jun 2017 19:28 - 23 Jun 2017 19:30 #765223 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic KZ200A bogging at highway speeds (50+ MPH).
Yes you have to begin with the in tank petcock filter.
I have seen a lot of tanks with rusty debris filters and fuel level sending sensors.
Water is heavier than fuel and is hidden in the lowest sector of the tank and do a destroying slow and continuously work.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2017 19:30 by Scirocco.

• dragonov_elite
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jun 2017 14:26 #765597 by dragonov_elite
Well I got the issue figured out. Ended up being the position of the floot position. Thank you for your time and input guys. The tank and petcock checked out good.