Mikuni VM26 Carbs

More
14 May 2017 16:35 - 14 May 2017 16:36 #761951 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Mikuni VM26 Carbs
I don't think those felt rings are overly important but I suppose they are nice to have.

Looks like you are doing a nice job. I've got a little side hobby of restoring old carbs and getting the black off can be a pain. I recommend the strong type paint stripper, the stuff that requires paint thinner to remove, not water. Even at that, bead blasting when done is typically needed if you want a pristine job. Be happy though, the paint Mikuni used is easier to strip than the stuff Keihin used. That stuff is a bitch.

Here is a set of VM26's I did a while back. They turned out nicely.

Oh, and I've got a zinc plating kit which is really handy when restoring all the old rusty brackets and such.
Good fun.

[img
P1030332 by nessism , on Flickr
Last edit: 14 May 2017 16:36 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Kaw76er

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2017 17:09 #761955 by Kaw76er
Replied by Kaw76er on topic Mikuni VM26 Carbs
Wow!! Your carbs look great!! I can only hope mine come out close to them. I think that I'm going to get the paint off first then dip them before bead blasting again. I got the bracket and two carbs done today...I'm pretty happy. I'll have to look into the plating kit. I like making old stuff look new. This hasn't been as bad as I thought it would. I've cleaned plenty of carbs, just not a set. Once I got into it...things kind of fell into place. I have to order the O-rings yet this evening. I wasn't sure what I'd need once I got started. None of the kits are perfect for my setup. I'm running 125 mains and 17.5 pilots. Thanks again for the advice and kind words!!

More
15 May 2017 19:00 #761999 by Kaw76er
Replied by Kaw76er on topic Mikuni VM26 Carbs
I don't know it it'll help anyone out, but I left Strypeeze on one of the carbs all night then pressure washed it before blasting. Only took around 5 minutes of blasting to make it look like new. Apparently following the paint stripper instructions wasn't good enough. I had to go rogue.