Persistent smell of gasoline

• alefebvre
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • A french Writer in Florida
More
07 Jan 2017 12:15 #751622 by alefebvre
Persistent smell of gasoline was created by alefebvre
After every ride with my Z1000, I notice that there is a persistent petrol smell in my motorcycle.
This smell finally dissipated, probably because all the gasoline that remained in the float bowl of the carburetors evaporated.
How to get rid of this odor?
Nobody, it does not bother me as much as that but my wife is obviously not of this opinion!
She does not want my bike in the garage until I fix the problem ... that's why I ask you for help: what does it take to make this smell no longer show up?
I should like to point out that I always close the gasoline valve (fuel tap) of the tank well before taking my motorcycle in the garage and even cutting off the engine at the very last moment (so that the remaining gasoline in the tanks is consumed as much as possible). I really do not know what to do to fight this smell and that's why I turn to you hoping you can give me some leads ...
Thank you in advance.

=====
My blog at www.alain-lefebvre.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2017 12:24 #751626 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Persistent smell of gasoline
I think a slight smell is pretty normal. Once stopped, engine heat continues to warm up the fuel in the carb bowls and the tank. Some of this vapor is pushed out the vent tubes by expansion. As soon as things start cooling off, the odor dissipates.
If it is a strong and persistent odor, there may be a leak someplace.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: alefebvre

More
07 Jan 2017 18:31 #751660 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Persistent smell of gasoline
Would check for any fuel dampness at exits of overflow hoses (shortly after parking in the garage) which could possibly result from a too high fuel level or a cracked overflow tube, either of which could allow some fuel to escape despite the precautionary measures taken before entering the garage.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2017 19:04 #751662 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Persistent smell of gasoline
I was thinking if you had a bad diaphram in the petcock, that would explain the gas smell.
Steve

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
08 Jan 2017 07:42 #751682 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Persistent smell of gasoline
Just a suggestions, but I had the same thing and though it was just the pod filters, but found a drip hanging from the underside of the tank where the sending unit bolts on. Replaced the gasket, added more sealant at the same time, and no more drips. Did the same with the petcock while I had it out.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• alefebvre
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • A french Writer in Florida
More
08 Jan 2017 13:58 #751726 by alefebvre
Replied by alefebvre on topic Persistent smell of gasoline - Solved!
I Read your advices (thanks to all) but it is also by rereading the "Clymer manual" that I saw an interesting track: page 182, it is explained that the two "carburators air vent tubes" must be connected to the "air cleaner silencer".
Now, it happens that I just installed this famous "air cleaner silencer" that was missing on my machine (found on Ebay) and so, there are these two tubes that were connected to nothing ... Intrigued and I wanted to check out what they were meant to serve. In short, I have connected these pipes and I just come back from a short stroll and, miracle, the smell of gasoline is greatly reduced (but has not completely disappeared). :laugh:

=====
My blog at www.alain-lefebvre.com/

More
08 Jan 2017 15:55 #751732 by McZed
Replied by McZed on topic Persistent smell of gasoline
You're approaching this problem from the wrong angle Alefebvre . Keep the bike, replace the wife. Simple! :whistle:
Only joking, honest!!! :P :P