Vacuum gauges

More
27 Dec 2016 11:17 #750786 by stokes
Vacuum gauges was created by stokes
Someone gave me a set of vacuum gauges to sync my carbs.The manual gives values in cm/hg but these gauges have 2 scales one is marked "lbs" the inner scale is marked kg/cm squared.The manual says they should be within 2 cm/hg of each other.How do I convert these numbers.For instance a quick check showed cyls 1&2 at 10 lbs and cyl 3&4 at about 8.5 lbs.Close enough?
On another note,after I warmed the bike up,shut it down and then removed the vacuum caps from the intake manifolds there was gas in each cap.Is this a problem?

1980 KZ1000B Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2016 12:23 - 27 Dec 2016 12:24 #750789 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Vacuum gauges
I'd try to get the gauges dead nuts even. To the greatest extent possible at least. Regards fuel in the cap, that's normal. Fuel puddles inside the vacuum lines too, along with condensation (I think it's condensation anyway). I just know it's common and normal.

Oh, and I usually kick up the running speed a little when syncing and avoid doing it at idle and be sure to verify your valve adjustment is good since any tight valves will affect the vacuum levels.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2016 12:24 by Nessism.

More
27 Dec 2016 14:23 - 27 Dec 2016 14:27 #750796 by stokes
Replied by stokes on topic Vacuum gauges
I did the valve adj in the fall.I had the idle at about 1500 when I checked the sync,I dont plan to actually do the sync til the spring.I had a warm day so I took the bike out for a while and just wanted to check out the new gauges.What has me concerned is that the manual says the vacuum should be about 20cm/hg.The metric scale I have on these is cm squared,so I figure that should be about 400 on my scale,they are between 200-250 where they sit right now.That seems to be a big difference,could I be missing something?Oh,dont know if it matters but I did remove that clean air crap from the top of the valve covers and installed those aluminum covers made by APE.

1980 KZ1000B Ltd
Last edit: 27 Dec 2016 14:27 by stokes.

More
27 Dec 2016 14:37 #750799 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Vacuum gauges
Yes, you are confusing your measurements. cm/hg means centimeters of mercury and it measures vacuum, so that measurement shows how far (in centimeters) the vacuum will raise a column of mercury. kg/cm squared is a measure of pressure - not vacuum. It shows pressure force measured in kilograms per square centimeter - not how far a column of mercury can be raised via vacuum. Pounds per square (PSI) inch is another measurement of pressure which may be more familiar. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Dec 2016 16:59 #750801 by stokes
Replied by stokes on topic Vacuum gauges
OK,thanks.So,bottom line is,I should just adjust so all 4 match as close as possible and pay no mind to the numbers on the dial.I assume in this case,there is about a 2lb difference,I should go for the higher number.

1980 KZ1000B Ltd

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Dec 2016 17:12 #750802 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Vacuum gauges
As you get them even the idle will change. Reset it and fine tune it until it doesn't change anymore.
Steve