POD FILTER CHOICES

More
19 Dec 2016 14:30 #750447 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic POD FILTER CHOICES

khungerf wrote:

750 R1 wrote: Stacks help right across the rev range, using velocity stacks with some kind of filter will always be better than just pods by themselves, Pods are more susceptible to cross winds than they are with velocity stacks, because the stack puts the point of entry for the incoming air further from the carb mouth/throat where turbulence is not wanted, as I said earlier, the stacks smooth out the incoming air. For the guys commenting on race applications, they still have cross winds on the track. Nearly all motorcycle manufacturers use velocity stacks with the stock airboxes where side winds aren't even a problem, this should tell you something...
There are a couple of members here that have gone to great lengths to show how much improvement there is in performance when using stacks with pods, instead of just pods by themselves, any competent tuner will tell you the same....

This is good information. I have done some searches on here and the old gpz forum and have not found much of a conclusion (i.e. dyno charts showing low and midrange improvement) do you have links to some of these threads.
(I have found lot of details about how much of a pain only using pods is.

I am not disagreeing with you at all, I certainly don't have much tuning experience and none on an older kz/gpz. I know different bikes respond different and also 'opening things up' often only results in gains at higher rpm (great for racing - not for the street).

Thanks,
Lee

Hi Lee, gains at all rev ranges can be had with stacks, for instance, the shorter the stack, the higher up in the rev range the gains, longer stacks will give more power down low, thats why Mikuni and others make stacks in 15mm, 30mm, 50mm and 70mm lengths. So its important to pick a stack thats not too short for an all round application, 50-70mm would be better for the street, and still far better than running no stacks at all. Tuning for the street is a compromise anyway, you are chasing a balance from a machine thats capable of being run in any number of states of tune. If you want to know any more about how stacks work, or why its important to have smooth flowing air in the carb throat, do some reading on laminar flow versus turbulent flow with carbs, Laminar flow is what you want. Most, if not all the bikes you see running pods, that are having difficulty getting a decent tune, is all down to the turbulent flow condition at the carb mouth or throat, also throw into the mix that there's also a large contingent of people that wouldn't know a good running bike if it ran them over, and you'll soon find out that a lot of people that think their bike runs well with pods, really haven't got a clue.... Sorry folks, but its true.... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: khungerf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
21 Dec 2016 09:47 - 21 Dec 2016 10:16 #750548 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic POD FILTER CHOICES

daveo wrote:

750 R1 wrote: Velocity stacks make a big difference, smoothing out incoming air into the carb throat, you won't find a good circuit race bike without them..

Uni make some cool "Quad pods" for all types of carbs and bikes....

www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d361_Quad_Pods.html

Anyone have experience with the Uni Quad Pods? Looks like a pretty nifty setup...

Sent two product inquiries directly to UNI FILTER (Australia) over the past week, and have received nothing in reply
:evil:
Makes me wonder .

FYI, UNI FILTER (Australia) and UNI FILTER INC (USA) are two distinct and separate, unaffiliated companies!
That may explain it.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 21 Dec 2016 10:16 by daveo. Reason: Info updated

More
21 Dec 2016 13:56 #750552 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic POD FILTER CHOICES

daveo wrote:

daveo wrote:

750 R1 wrote: Velocity stacks make a big difference, smoothing out incoming air into the carb throat, you won't find a good circuit race bike without them..

Uni make some cool "Quad pods" for all types of carbs and bikes....

www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d361_Quad_Pods.html

Anyone have experience with the Uni Quad Pods? Looks like a pretty nifty setup...

Sent two product inquiries directly to UNI FILTER (Australia) over the past week, and have received nothing in reply
:evil:
Makes me wonder .

FYI, UNI FILTER (Australia) and UNI FILTER INC (USA) are two distinct and separate, unaffiliated companies!
That may explain it.

I rang them up and got a great run through on the filters. They could be shut for the holidays too...
anything I can do at my end for you..?
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
21 Dec 2016 15:06 - 22 Dec 2016 09:34 #750556 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic POD FILTER CHOICES
Not sure if its worth all the potential effort, considering there is no vendor available in the US to handle issues that may arise with use. :cheer:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 22 Dec 2016 09:34 by daveo.