POD FILTER CHOICES

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
13 Dec 2016 16:10 #750131 by daveo
POD FILTER CHOICES was created by daveo
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI got a set of 30mm velocity stacks with the RS34's I recently purchased off ebay, and I wonder what filters will adapt over them...or should I just keep using the old K&N's and skip the stacks altogether?
I checked with the company that handles Pipercross foam filters. The sales rep said he couldn't fit their oval dual-carb filter over the 3" stack trumpet without ripping the foam. :( There is an ebay seller offering them out of the Netherlands, and I'm going to have to check if the filters they sell are different.
See:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
14 Dec 2016 18:07 #750202 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic POD FILTER CHOICES
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

?

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Dec 2016 18:29 #750204 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic POD FILTER CHOICES
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Tyrell Corp wrote:

?

I prefer that type, but the centers need to be 77 mm, or just over 3". The Ramair version recommended for the application has a wedge shape that goes toward the bottom I assume. Curious how the fuel lines are supposed to be routed from the carbs, whether in front of the filters, or to a "T" beneath--then up the center between the filters:

Critical measurements for determining which filter would work with the stacks...

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

More
14 Dec 2016 19:02 #750208 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic POD FILTER CHOICES

daveo wrote: I got a set of 30mm velocity stacks with the RS34's I recently purchased off ebay, and I wonder what filters will adapt over them...or should I just keep using the old K&N's and skip the stacks altogether?
I checked with the company that handles Pipercross foam filters. The sales rep said he couldn't fit their oval dual-carb filter over the 3" stack trumpet without ripping the foam. :( There is an ebay seller offering them out of the Netherlands, and I'm going to have to check if the filters they sell are different.
See:

I bought these from the UK.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:

More
14 Dec 2016 19:23 #750209 by kaw-a-holic
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

daveo wrote:

Tyrell Corp wrote:

?

I prefer that type, but the centers need to be 77 mm, or just over 3". The Ramair version recommended for the application has a wedge shape that goes toward the bottom I assume. Curious how the fuel lines are supposed to be routed from the carbs, whether in front of the filters, or to a "T" beneath--then up the center between the filters:

Critical measurements for determining which filter would work with the stacks...

Here is how I routed mine

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Dec 2016 19:24 - 14 Dec 2016 19:30 #750210 by daveo
It's a trick routing the fuel lines with these RS carbs...

Jon, does the foam butt directly against the stack intakes, or is there an air space between them?
Your stacks appear longer than the 30mm these are.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Dec 2016 19:30 by daveo.

More
14 Dec 2016 19:29 #750212 by kaw-a-holic

daveo wrote: Jon, does the foam butt directly against the stack intakes, or is there an air space between them?
Your stacks appear longer than the 30mm these are.

Mine do but up against the filter but you are right, they are longer than yours. Mine are 50mm length

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Dec 2016 19:36 #750213 by daveo
Did you have to mount the stacks to the carbs with the filters fitted on them first? I can't imagine how else you can get the filters pulled over the stacks already mounted on the carbs...

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
14 Dec 2016 19:45 #750215 by kaw-a-holic

daveo wrote: Did you have to mount the stacks to the carbs with the filters fitted on them first? I can't imagine how else you can get the filters pulled over the stacks already mounted on the carbs...

You are correct sir, stacks inserted into filters then mount them to carbs. I spray the inside of the filters with filter oil.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Dec 2016 20:10 #750217 by daveo

kaw-a-holic wrote:

daveo wrote: Did you have to mount the stacks to the carbs with the filters fitted on them first? I can't imagine how else you can get the filters pulled over the stacks already mounted on the carbs...

You are correct sir, stacks inserted into filters then mount them to carbs. I spray the inside of the filters with filter oil.

I'm a little concerned about sucking the foam off the filters and out the exhaust... :lol:
Do you think the Ramair filters would be similar quality as the Pipercross filters, which don't have the extended portion at the bottom?
See:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
14 Dec 2016 20:22 #750218 by kaw-a-holic

daveo wrote:

kaw-a-holic wrote:

I'm a little concerned about sucking the foam off the filters and out the exhaust... :lol:
Do you think the Ramair filters would be similar quality as the Pipercross filters, which don't have the extended portion at the bottom?
See:

Wouldn't surprise me if they were made at the same manufacturer. The build quality looks the same to me. I had my bike over a 100 quite a few times and never had an issue with the Ramairs.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Dec 2016 20:50 #750219 by daveo
Cool, I've always liked the concept, but wonder if velocity stacks actually provide noticeable performance advantages over simply using K&N Pods on city streets, and highways?

1982 KZ1100-A2