BS 38'S QUESTION

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
24 Nov 2016 11:58 #748841 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic BS 38'S QUESTION
Have you verified you're getting good spark? I had my kz1000 running real rich once because of a bad connection to the coils. My only advice would be to go through the carbs one more time and make sure every circuit is clean, and no holes in the diapaghms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLJOCLARK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Nov 2016 20:31 #748864 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic BS 38'S QUESTION
I wouldn't try tuning it until the valves are adjusted. Leaking valve guide seals can make it look rich. One thing at a time.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLJOCLARK

More
25 Nov 2016 06:04 #748875 by OLJOCLARK
Replied by OLJOCLARK on topic BS 38'S QUESTION
Spark seems to be fine,new points and condenser,new coil.Spark adavance lubed and seems to be all right,and yes I am tempted to go thru the carbs again while I'm waiting on a valve cover gasket to come in.The slides and diaphrams all look good .I can push up on the slides and they will fall back freely.I have looked at the diaphrams a lot with magnifying goggles and they look pretty new .Is there another way to check these? Maybe crank it without the boots ,poke my head in and watch em move as I excellerate?Or even better with a mirror?

1980 Kawasaki 750 ltd G Twin

More
25 Nov 2016 15:09 - 25 Nov 2016 15:12 #748909 by OLJOCLARK
A new stuation has me wondering if when I found the needle spring on the wrong side of one carburater on the slide and changed it ,I should have changed the other one! When holding the slide with the diaphram up should I be able to pull down on the needle against the spring or push up? I was looking at partszilla and they show the spring the way I am seeing it to where you would push up against the spring.I changed the one to be able to pull down!Now you pull down against the spring on both carbs.I bet I did that wrong!I don't really understand why the spring is there.Im referring to the little spring. Gotta get this right.Any pictures on the forum I can look at?Thanks OLJO

Last edit: 25 Nov 2016 15:12 by OLJOCLARK.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Nov 2016 22:21 - 25 Nov 2016 22:23 #748941 by DoctoRot
Are you talking about the big spring that fits in the slide? The slide should be held closed by the spring.
I agree with Steve that setting the valves will be good to get done to rule that out and make it run better but your problem sounds like a carburation issue to me.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2016 22:23 by DoctoRot.

More
26 Nov 2016 01:05 - 26 Nov 2016 01:44 #748951 by OLJOCLARK
No, Docto ,not the big spring.If you look at Partszilla under 1980 750 G Twin you will see the little spring on the needle.They give two variations ,one without the spring that looks like it clips straight to the slide.For some reason mine has the springs. It looks like to me the one with the spring would hold the needle in a leaner position.Some part numbers have -1 .Do you know what that means?The slides look pretty new to me.Partszilla shows the slide to be obsolete,reckon where the P.O. found these? i'm still looking on the forums to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Last edit: 26 Nov 2016 01:44 by OLJOCLARK.

More
26 Nov 2016 07:02 #748965 by OLJOCLARK
BIG UPDATE! Got up way too early this morning thinking about changing the springs in my slides.Got em in and put the 50 main jets in while I was at it.Set my air fuel mix at 1.5 turns out.Tried cranking without the choke cause it usually does and no quick start.Applied the choke and cranked right up,Oh yeah,,,thats different! Let it warm up a bit ,backed off on the choke ,gave it some revs,Aint missed a lick yet! :cheer: This is with the boots still off the air box.Gonna warm my boots up ,slip em back on and give it test ride when it warms up a bit.If this was the main problem that means when someone replaced or experimented on the needle in the slides they reinstalled one with the little spring in the wrong position.When I found this I did too!.In my mind I was thinking you aught to be able to push the needle up against the spring.so that's the way I had em.Now that I think about it ,it has been running worse since I did that. The needles couldn't rise and fall as they should with the slides,they were way too long set up like that.More later,,OLJO

More
26 Nov 2016 09:07 #748980 by OLJOCLARK
Gave it a spin,That was definite the main gremlin.Still got some tuning to do.Gonna have to get out and ride awhile to see which jets are gonna be suited for it,still got some jumping around goin on but not bad.Just glad I made it this far.Thanks for everyones input.Might have gave up without it.Now I can get to the fun stuff! I would like to know how your's is coming along on that jetting too DOCTO. OLJO

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Nov 2016 12:52 #748988 by DoctoRot
glad to hear you got it on the right path. My bike is a ways off from tuning. I need to finish building the exhaust and the wiring before i can even start it up.