1980 GS850 vacuum issue?

More
29 Oct 2016 11:01 #746454 by HooksVJM
1980 GS850 vacuum issue? was created by HooksVJM
I know it's GS, not KZ, but..So, this issue has me wanting to punch a hole in my shed wall...Recently rebuilt top end,dipped,cleaned and rebuilt carbs, new petcock, resealed airbox, etc. Bike was running great no issues apparent, then I parked it overnight, came back out to start it and it fired up but barely ran off just one cylinder. Checked compression, checked timing at cams and crank, rechecked valve clearance, check for spark on all four-everything good and in spec. I then disassembled and checked carbs for any defective parts and hit each passage with compressed air and carb cleaner (again)..did this twice actually. Reassembled and engine did the same thing. Then after not running for several days, I couldn't get it to start. I took it to an experienced friend who has worked on many a GS and KZ. After a little bit of ether (i know, yikes, but it worked) he got it running good on all four cylinders. It was running great and I rode it home 15-20 miles, no problems. I parked it in my shed for the night and went back out to start it again the next morning. Started right up but again barely ran off one cylinder exactly as before. Cylinder one is the only one firing. I discovered this when the problem first came up because it was the only exhaust pipe that wasn't cold. Again, this has happened twice,as the bike sits overnight after running perfectly the day before on all four cylinders. I have tried draining tank and refilling with fresh gas, getting same results.
Any thoughts on what could be causing it to run great, but then just run off one cylinder after being parked overnight? Is my shed cursed?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Oct 2016 11:20 #746458 by SWest

More
29 Oct 2016 23:08 #746507 by DGA
Replied by DGA on topic 1980 GS850 vacuum issue?
No plug pic needed, bike has badly lean idle conditions, from either blocked idle circuits or misadjusted idle mixture screws. The idle jets are tiny and hard to clean with anything, but confirm that they were removed and cleaned, not just air blown through them. Crap can sit in the passages above them and come back and block them even after you blow air through them, You have to remove them to clean it all.

"83 KZ1100 Spectre, '81 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, '74 Kawasaki H2B 750

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Oct 2016 04:58 #746515 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1980 GS850 vacuum issue?
How is the battery charge and charging system in general? Did you go through the carbs properly using the full carb rebuild tutorial and replace all the various O-rings? zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf